Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting /bin/bash - variable substitution. Post 302309318 by trey85stang on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 03:22:12 PM
Old 04-21-2009
/bin/bash - variable substitution.

Is it possible with a bash variable to perform multiple substitution strings to one variable?

I have this variable:
echo $clock
TIMEZONE="US/Central"

What I would like to do with bash only it pull out just the "US" part of the variable.. which could be any number of countries.

this is where I am at:

echo ${clock:10}
US/Central"

echo ${clock:10#*/}
bash: testing: 10#*/: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/")

echo ${clock#*/}
Central"

So, am I just missing something.. or can I only do one type of substition with a bash variable?

thanks,
Trey

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash has stopped working

Hi I'm writing a script and I've put #!/bin/bash as the first line so that I can just type my scripts name 'whodate' at PS1 instead of ./whodate. This has suddenly stopped working for me. It used to be the case that I could start a script with #!/bin/bash and it would work, but for this script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BIN/BASH.

THANKS UNIX SYSTEM®.I was found my job from UNIX®.I USE MONKEY WRENCH WITH WARTER.I am now studying my studio with UNIX SYSTEM®. THANKS UNIX SYSTEM®. THANKS OUR OPEN GROUP. from Takayasu Sakashita.My name is Takayasu Sakashita. I respect you. Austin.PEACE!Bey bey. Your friend TAKA.Good... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: administrator®
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/bash: Event not found.

Hi I'm new to scripting - please help me... I'm trying to run a script written by a friend: #!/bin/bash for aStat in .... do .... done when coping the script to the terminal I get: /bin/bash: Event not found. for: Command not found. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atira
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script having variable substitution problems

Hi I am setting the variables like this : setenv MODULE1 modem5__3 setenv MODULE2 modem5__2 setenv MODULE3 modem_ctrl_1_1 setenv MODULE4 modem_1_0 setenv COUNT 10 I am having a bash script as shown below ################################################ #!/bin/bash for ((... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bin/bash - xmessage very slow

Hello, I am showing the start of my script. I am finding that 'xmessage' is taking about 12-15 seconds to show. This in a terminal is very quick '/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd get_camera'. Is there any way to get 'camera not detected' to show faster. Regards #!/bin/bash s=$(/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad-hatter
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
HASHSTASH(3)						 libbash hashstash Library Manual					      HASHSTASH(3)

NAME
hashstash -- libbash library that implements hash data structure SYNOPSIS
hashSet <Value> <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] $retval hashGet <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] $retval hashKeys <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] hashRemove <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] hashDelete <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] DESCRIPTION
General hashstash is a collection of functions that implement basic hash data-structure in bash scripting language. The function list: hashSet Adds a value to the hash hashGet Returns a value from the hash hashKeys Returns a list of keys of the hash hashRemove Removes a key from the hash hashDelete Deletes a hash Detailed interface description follows. FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
hashSet <Value> <Key> <Hashname> [SubHashName [...]] Adds a value to the hash. Parameters: <Value> The value to set in HashName[Key]. <Key> The key for the value Value. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Value will be the value of the key Key in the hash HashName. For example if you have (or want to define) hash C, which is subhash of hash B, which is subhash of hash A, and C has a key named ckey1 with value cval1, then you should use: hashSet cval1 ckey1 A B C $retval hashGet <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Returns the value of Key in HashName to the $retval variable. Parameters: <Key> The key that hold the value we wish to get. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Return Value: The value of the key Key in the hash HashName. The value is returned in the variable $retval. $retval hashKeys <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Returns a list of keys of the hash HashName in the variable $retval. Parameters: <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Return Value: The value of the key Key in the hash HashName. The value is returned in the variable $retval. hashRemove <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Removes the key Key from the hash HashName. <Key> The key we wish to remove from HashName. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. This function should also be used to remove a sub-hash from its "father hash". In that case, the key will be the name of the sub-hash. hashDelete <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Deletes the hash HashName [SubHashName [...]]. Parameters: <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. If this function is used on a sub-hash, a key with the name of the sub-hash will remain in its "father hash" and will hold a NULL value. BUGS
A hash name can only contain characters that are valid as part of bash variable names (i.e. a-zA-Z0-9_). The same applies for hash keys. As for now, there is no way of knowing if a key represents a value or a sub-hash. If a sub-hash will be used as a key, the returned value will be its keys list. EXAMPLES
Define hash table hashA with key Akey1 with value Aval1 use: % hashSet Aval1 Akey1 Ahash Now: % hashGet Akey1 Ahash % echo $retval Aval1 % hashKeys Ahash % echo $retval Akey1 % HISTORY
The idea to write hashstash library appeared when we've discovered the full power of the bash eval function. As of the name hashstash, it has two meanings. The first, it means 'stash' of hash functions. The second is, that hashstash contains sub- hashes inside, so it looks like stash of packed information. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux