Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find, Replace & Edit a string? Post 302309289 by preethgideon on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 01:50:43 PM
Old 04-21-2009
I guess AWK should do it. If the fields are fixed then just print them.
Something like this

echo "<log4j:event.........schema="LMS">" | awk '{ print $3,$4, substr($5,3,5), $5...'}
Here $3, $4 prints te whole word/field and substr($5,3,5) prints 5 characters of 5th field starting from the 3rd letter.

Modify the awk with your requirements.

Thanks and Regards,
Gideon.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace

I get a text file with 70+ columns (seperated by Tab) and about 10000 rows. The 58th Column is all numbers. But sometimes 58th columns has "/xxx=##" after the numeric data. I want to truncate this string using the script. Any Ideas...:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagansharma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

improving my script (find & replace)

Hi all, I have a script that scan files, find old templet and replace it with new one. #!/bin/ksh file_name=$1 old_templet=$2 new_templet=$3 # Loop through every file like this for file in file_name do cat $file | sed "s/old_templet/new_templet/g" > $file.new #do a global searce and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir_yosha
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search & Replace

Hey, I want to have a C program which, for an existing file supplied by the command line argument (E.g. File1.txt) replaces all the occurrences of the words: "We” or “we” by “I” “a” by “the” “A” by “The”. Then print the replaced file. All other characters of the file are to be left... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IwishIknewC
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi search & replace ... having '/' in string - problem.

I want to carry out search & replace for the paths mentioned in the file with the help of vi. 'abc/' to be replaced by 'abc/data' When I use command in vi as below - %s/abc//abc/data/g it gives me an error. How we should deal with '/' part in string for vi search & replace? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & incremental replace?

Looking for a way using sed/awk/perl to replace port numbers in a file with an incrementing number. The original file looks like... Host cmg-iqdrw3p4 LocalForward *:9043 localhost:9043 Host cmg-iqdro3p3a LocalForward *:10000 localhost:10000 Host cmg-iqdro3p3b LocalForward... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treadwm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to replace a string & its current value with a new value

Hi All, i am trying to replace a string & its current value (P_JOBID =1000 for eg) in a file with a new value(P_JOBID =2000) through sed command. File name : A.txt Command I am trying : `cat $path/A.txt | grep ${P_JOBID} | sed -e s/P_JOBID=/P_JOBID="$JobID"/g` Output Expected :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Replace

Hi I am looking to rename the contents of this dir, each one with a new timestamp, interval of a second for each so it the existing format is on lhs and what I want is to rename each of these to what is on rhs..hopefully it nake sense CDR.20060505.150006.gb CDR.20121211.191500.gb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX find string in directory and filetype and replace string

Hi, Here's my dilemma. I need to replace the string Sept_2012 to Oct_2012 in all *config.py files within the current directory and below directories Is this possible? Also I am trying to find all instances of the string Sept_2012 within files in the current directory and below I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
13 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)