Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need advice on coding a daemon Post 302309277 by pludi on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 01:34:39 PM
Old 04-21-2009
What files and programs are installed is usually tracked by the package manager, eg for Debian and derivates:
Code:
# aptitude search ~i #Shows installed packages
# dpkg -L make # Show files installed by "make" package

And honestly, an admin that didn't do proper documentation from the beginning probably won't start all of a sudden (and probably isn't very good at his/her job anyways)

If you want to understand 'configure', download the source of any program, and build it yourself. If you want to understand it very well, take a look at it's source (it's usually just a shell script). If you want to understand it, and the whole build process, very, very well, take a look at Linux from Scratch.

/var/run has some information about a service. If that service decides it wants to share that information in just that directory. Better would be to run the init script with the 'status' parameter (if supported) or check if the process turns up in ps -ef.

By the way, there's only one startup manager, /sbin/init, and it works the same on any Linux distribution, and most SystemV UNIXes.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I use this coding

I apologise because I had pasted this question in the newbies forum first (because i am a bit of a newbie) but thought it might be better suited in here if i have to sepearate parameters can I use this syntax especially the or part (||) and is this correct if (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: w33man
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pro*c coding

Hi All, I am new to pro*C. I have a select statement as select a.ename,a.sal,a.empno from emp where &n=(select count(distinct(b.sal)) from emp b where a.sal<=b.sal for this query I have to write a pro*C program. So can you please send me the complete code. Then I will foloow the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

3. Programming

Help for coding this programme

for a floating-point array x whose size is n, find the geometric mean.. GM =n x1.x2.x3...xn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allyjaah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding in Phyton

I have the following Phyton script and want to print something if the option was selected For example if the user uses --npop=12, I want to check if the user has inputted --npop and do if npop selected, print npop Or if the user puts --fdata=npt02.dat I print something like if fdata... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
2 Replies
DH_BUGFILES(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_BUGFILES(1)

NAME
dh_bugfiles - install bug reporting customization files into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_bugfiles [-A] [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_bugfiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing bug reporting customization files (bug scripts and/or bug control files and/or presubj files) into package build directories. FILES
debian/package.bug-script This is the script to be run by the bug reporting program for generating a bug report template. This file is installed as usr/share/bug/package in the package build directory if no other types of bug reporting customization files are going to be installed for the package in question. Otherwise, this file is installed as usr/share/bug/package/script. Finally, the installed script is given execute permissions. debian/package.bug-control It is the bug control file containing some directions for the bug reporting tool. This file is installed as usr/share/bug/package/control in the package build directory. debian/package.bug-presubj The contents of this file are displayed to the user by the bug reporting tool before allowing the user to write a bug report on the package to the Debian Bug Tracking System. This file is installed as usr/share/bug/package/presubj in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-A, --all Install debian/bug-* files to ALL packages acted on when respective debian/package.bug-* files do not exist. Normally, debian/bug-* will be installed to the first package only. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/reportbug/README.developers.gz debhelper(1) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_BUGFILES(1)