Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need advice on coding a daemon Post 302309180 by Housni on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 09:30:42 AM
Old 04-21-2009
I should mention that this isn't something I'm doing for a particular set of people.
I just have a lot of time on my hands these days and a friend and I wanted to write a program that documents things for an admin automatically. I do a bit of freelance sys admin work from time to time and a lot of servers are either not documented at all or badly documented. I know this sounds a little ambitious but maybe I can start with something very small and build it up over a couple years.

Yeah, you're definitely right about configure being very customizable...but I don't know how to work around this.
You said configure is usually told where to install things. What tells it where to install things? Better yet, can you tell me where I can read more about building an installable source for Linux so that I understand what exactly goes on during the 'configure', 'make' and 'make install' process?

Regarding tracking services, watching /var/run is a reliable way to determine if a service was started, right? Or does this path also depend on what starup manager I'm using?

Thanks.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I use this coding

I apologise because I had pasted this question in the newbies forum first (because i am a bit of a newbie) but thought it might be better suited in here if i have to sepearate parameters can I use this syntax especially the or part (||) and is this correct if (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: w33man
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pro*c coding

Hi All, I am new to pro*C. I have a select statement as select a.ename,a.sal,a.empno from emp where &n=(select count(distinct(b.sal)) from emp b where a.sal<=b.sal for this query I have to write a pro*C program. So can you please send me the complete code. Then I will foloow the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user71408
1 Replies

3. Programming

Help for coding this programme

for a floating-point array x whose size is n, find the geometric mean.. GM =n x1.x2.x3...xn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allyjaah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding in Phyton

I have the following Phyton script and want to print something if the option was selected For example if the user uses --npop=12, I want to check if the user has inputted --npop and do if npop selected, print npop Or if the user puts --fdata=npt02.dat I print something like if fdata... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need help with coding

HI, Can some one guide me how to make changes to the script below so that it can load the history of a program to IT server ? Format of data: YYYYMMDD065959.dsk.log YYYYMMDD235959.dsk.log currently both are loaded together. Need to separate them as above format. Thanks in advance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazydude80
2 Replies
DH_AUTO_CONFIGURE(1)						     Debhelper						      DH_AUTO_CONFIGURE(1)

NAME
dh_auto_configure - automatically configure a package prior to building SYNOPSIS
dh_auto_configure [buildsystemoptions] [debhelperoptions] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_auto_configure is a debhelper program that tries to automatically configure a package prior to building. It does so by running the appropriate command for the build system it detects the package uses. For example, it looks for and runs a ./configure script, Makefile.PL, Build.PL, or cmake. A standard set of parameters is determined and passed to the program that is run. Some build systems, such as make, do not need a configure step; for these dh_auto_configure will exit without doing anything. This is intended to work for about 90% of packages. If it doesn't work, you're encouraged to skip using dh_auto_configure at all, and just run ./configure or its equivalent manually. OPTIONS
See "BUILD SYSTEM OPTIONS" in debhelper(7) for a list of common build system selection and control options. -- params Pass params to the program that is run, after the parameters that dh_auto_configure usually passes. For example: dh_auto_configure -- --with-foo --enable-bar SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_AUTO_CONFIGURE(1)