Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa Post 302308893 by jim mcnamara on Monday 20th of April 2009 01:52:52 PM
Old 04-20-2009
Okay - if you tell us what an 'unknown ASCII' character is so we can write some code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i read a file character by character

How to read character by character using awk (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I read a file character by character?

Hello all respected people, Can i read a file character by character without using sed,awk and perl commands. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read character by character in a file

Hi, How read character by character from a file . and i need replace '.' with null if it comes as a 5 character i am beginner ...please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheek
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with backslash and character

Hi, I have a string wherein i need to replace special characters with backslash and that character. Ex: If my string is a=qwerty123@!, then the new string should be a_new=qwerty123\@\!\, Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
3 Replies
ctype(3C)																 ctype(3C)

NAME
ctype: isalnum(), isalpha(), isascii(), isblank(), iscntrl(), isdigit(), isgraph(), islower(), isprint(), ispunct(), isspace(), isupper(), isxdigit() - classify characters according to type SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
These functions classify character-coded integer values according to the rules of the coded character set identified by the last successful call to (see setlocale(3C)). Each function is a predicate returning nonzero for true, zero for false. If has not been called successfully, characters are classified according to the rules of the default ASCII 7-bit coded character set (see setlocale(3C)). is defined on all integer values; the other functions are defined for the range (EOF) through RETURN VALUE
The functions return nonzero under the following circumstances; zero otherwise: c is an alphanumeric (letters or digits). c is a letter. c is any ASCII character code between 0 and 0177, inclusive. c is a blank character; that is, a space or a tab. c is a control character (in ASCII: character codes less than 040 and the delete character(0177)). c is a decimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9]). c is a visible character (in ASCII: printing characters, excluding the space character(040)). c is a lowercase letter. c is a printing character. c is a punctuation character (in ASCII: any printing character except the space character(040), digits, letters). c is a character that creates whitespace in displayed text (in ASCII: space, tab, carriage return, newline, verti- cal tab, and formfeed). c is an uppercase letter. c is a hexadecimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9], [A-F] or [a-f]). If the argument to any of these functions is outside the domain of the function, the result is undefined. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The category determines the classification of character type. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
These functions are supplied both as library functions and as macros defined in the header. Normally, the macro versions are used. To obtain the library function, either use a to remove the macro definition or, if compiling in ANSI-C mode, enclose the function name in parenthesis or take its address. The following example uses the library functions for and AUTHOR
was developed by IBM, OSF, and HP. SEE ALSO
setlocale(3C), ascii(5), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
ctype(3C)