Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu how to install g++ in ubuntu? Post 302308878 by Housni on Monday 20th of April 2009 01:12:31 PM
Old 04-20-2009
You've created a thread like this before, right? Smilie
sudo apt-get install build-essential not working

Are you familiar with what a software repository is in Linux?

In Ubuntu, 'apt-get' or 'aptitude' is known as the package manager.
This package manager installs packages for you, among other things.
It knows what packages are available thanks to a cached file (usually in xml) stored on your hard disk.
It generates this cache file by searching the repositories everytime you run `sdo apt-get update`
The list of repositories is stored in the text file: /etc/apt/sources.list

What's happening with you is that the repositories you currently have don't contain the build-essential package. So you have to add the right repository to the list you already have. That's why I added that link in my post in your first thread.

Which part of this are you having a problem with? If you can tell us exactly what the problem is, I'm sure one of us, in this thread, can help you out faster.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

3. Ubuntu

unable to install package on Ubuntu

Hi all, I am working on Ubuntu 7.10 and I want to install libssl-dev_0.9.8a-7ubuntu0.13_i386.deb. So tryied it with apt-get command but getting the following error-- Then I downloaded .deb file and attempt to install it with package installer but again unable to install it and getting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Ultimate install from system.

I want to install Ubuntu Ultimate 2.9. I downloaded ISO form its site and burnt it on DVD and tried to install it. But my DVD reader is not working properly so installation fails in between it. I have another OS as Windows. Can any body tell that if I can install Ubuntu Ultimate directly from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
8 Replies

5. Ubuntu

What is the easiest way to install Ubuntu?

I am planning to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, I have already burned Ubuntu into a CD and have also downloaded the ISO. But when I go to My Computer to start the installation, a different icon appears. And when I open it with ISO Buster, it opens up separately. I'm confused on what to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

How to Install TCSH package in Ubuntu 11?

I am trying to install tcsh package in ubuntu 11 When i tried to invoke the tcsh,i was prompted to contact administrator to install tcsh package. Since i am also the admin on my system its my job to install tcsh :D I have downloaded tcsh package named "tcsh-6.17.00.tar", since i don not have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
12 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Installation??? How to install Ubuntu on windows 7

guys tell me steps to install ubunto of linux kali over windows 7 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roshan4u
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Re-install Ubuntu 14.04 from system with Ubuntu on it

I need to re-install ubuntu on a system with ubuntu 14.04 already installed. I have the cd but can not seem to boot from it or find the installer. Is there a way to re-install from the command line or how do I do a fresh re-install? Thank you :) ---------- Post updated at 10:13 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Anyone install Autosys on Ubuntu?

I am a developer. A lot of the clients I work for use the Autosys scheduler. In order to educate myself more I would like to install this on my Ubuntu laptop. I have 16.04 btw (pretty sure, don't have it with me atm) Any feedback would be appreciated. Before I purchase an install. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwegescheide
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Install Tensorflow on Ubuntu

Hi, Please, how can fix this error: (myvenv)root@graphene-121:~# pip install --upgrade tensorflow Downloading/unpacking tensorflow Cannot fetch index base URL Simple index Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement tensorflow Cleaning up... No distributions at all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
8 Replies
BUILD-RDEPS(1)                                                                                                                      BUILD-RDEPS(1)

NAME
build-rdeps - find packages that depend on a specific package to build (reverse build depends) SYNOPSIS
build-rdeps package DESCRIPTION
build-rdeps searches for all packages that build-depend on the specified package. OPTIONS
-u, --update Run apt-get update before searching for build-depends. -s, --sudo Use sudo when running apt-get update. Has no effect if -u is omitted. --distribution Select another distribution, which is searched for build-depends. --only-main Ignore contrib and non-free --exclude-component Ignore the given component (e.g. main, contrib, non-free). --origin Restrict the search to only the specified origin (such as "Debian"). -m, --print-maintainer Print the value of the maintainer field for each package. -d, --debug Run the debug mode --help Show the usage information. --version Show the version information. REQUIREMENTS
The tool requires apt Sources files to be around for the checked components. In the default case this means that in /var/lib/apt/lists files need to be around for main, contrib and non-free. In practice this means one needs to add one deb-src line for each component, e.g. deb-src http://<mirror>/debian <dist> main contrib non-free and run apt-get update afterwards or use the update option of this tool. LICENSE
This code is copyright by Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org>, all rights reserved. This program comes with ABSOLUTELEY NO WARRANTY. You are free to redistribute this code under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. AUTHOR
Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> Debian Utilities 2013-12-23 BUILD-RDEPS(1)