Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching for lines in a file? Post 302308729 by ghostdog74 on Monday 20th of April 2009 06:37:09 AM
Old 04-20-2009
awk
Code:
awk '/^(string1|string2)/' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searching across lines

hi, i'm making now a bash script, that runs some compiler... i want to take only errors form its output eg: output: bla bla bla ... erros is 1324546 the bla bla bla bla bla bla... ... and i want to get only erros is 1324546 the bla bla bla (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: miechu
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

lines searching >>

hi guys! I`ll really appreciate your help. The situation is: i have a log file, and i need to get the needed lines from it. linecount=$(cat -n http.log | grep ALERT | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l) lines=$(cat -n http.log | grep ALERT | awk '{print $1}') 1-string gets the number of found lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neverhood
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching thru or combining multiple lines in a unix file

This is the problem actually: This regex: egrep "low debug.*\".*\"" $dbDir/alarmNotification.log is looking for data between the two quotation marks: ".*\" When I hate data like this: low debug 2009/3/9 8:30:20.47 ICSNotificationAlarm Prodics01ics0003 IC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for lines ending with }

I'm trying to search for lines ending with "}" with the following command but am not getting any output. grep '\}$' myFile.txt I actually want to negate this (i.e. lines not ending with "}"), but I guess that should be easier once I find the command that finds it? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the lines within a range of time period in a text file

Dear All, Please advice me, I have a text file with one field date and time like below given. I need to find out the lines whchi content the time stamp between Wed May 26 11:03:11 2010 and Wed May 26 11:03:52 2010 both can be included, using awk command which could be an interactive so that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinmayadalai
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for lines in textfiles

Hello all, I've a problem. I've two logfiles and i need to find lines in the second file by using information from the first file. First I need to extract a searchpattern from the first file. Its like abc=searchpattern&cde=. All between abc= and &cde= is the pattern I need to find in the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avarion
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching inverted lines

Hi fellas, I have a file like this: A_B B_D C_D D_B E_F G_H B_A F_E In other words, I have member1_member2 and member2_member1 in the same file. In the exemple aforementioned I have A_B and B_A, B_D and D_B, E_F and F_E. So, I would like to know a sript that print the lines B_A, D_B... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
tr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     tr(1)

Name
       tr - translate characters

Syntax
       tr [-cds] [string1[string2]]

Description
       The  command copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters.  Input characters found
       in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2.  When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by  dupli-
       cating  its  last character.  Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect
       to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 0 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input  characters  in  string1;  -s  squeezes  all
       strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters.

In  either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order.  The backslash character () followed
       by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits.  A  followed by any other  character  stands
       for that character.

The  following  example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of
       alphabetics.  The second string is quoted to protect  from the Shell.  012 is the ASCII code for newline.
       tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2

Options
       -c   Translates complements:  string1 to those not in string1.

-d   Deletes all characters in string1 from output.

-s   Squeezes succession of a character in string1 to one in output.

Restrictions
       `', `0', and `00' are equivalent for NUL character.

`12' is treated as octal 12 and not a NUL followed by characters 1 and 2.

See Also
       ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1)

tr(1)