Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to tar, compress and remove files older than two days Post 302308693 by edr on Monday 20th of April 2009 04:54:43 AM
Old 04-20-2009
How to tar, compress and remove files older than two days

Hi,

I'm Eddy from Belgium and I've the following problem.

I try to write a ksh script in AIX to tar, compress and remove the original *.wav files from the directory belgacom_sf_messages older than two days with the following commands.

The problem is that I do not find a good combination to handle this.

#!/bin/ksh
#
MAIN_DIR=/tmp/belgacom_sf_messages
integer set COMPRESSDAYS=3
integer set DELETEDAYS=3
tar -cvf - ${MAIN_DIR} 2>/tmp/file.tar
#
find ${MAIN_DIR} ! -name \*.wav -mtime -3 -exec gzip {} \;
find ${MAIN_DIR} -name \*.gz -mtime -3 -exec rm {} \;
#
##########Tested and ok##########
#tar -cvf - ${MAIN_DIR} 2> /tmp/Eddy.tar |gzip -c1 > file.tar.Z

Can somebody advises me how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Eddy.

Last edited by edr; 04-22-2009 at 05:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar files older than 30 days

Hi there, I am trying to tar a number of files held in a specific folder. I am only interested in archiving files older than 30 days. Having read through the man entries and all available documentation I thought I'd cracked the coomand with tar -c -z -v -N 15/04/2004 -f /wfch.tar * This... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wfch
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing

need help with this ... Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing list "test" file older than 5 days and then remove them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypatel6871
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove files older than 30 days except directories

Hi, I need to remove files (*.trc) which are older than 30 days from one location. My problem is there I do not want to visit any of the directories at that location. I want to search files at that particular location only (need to skip directorys at that location). maxdepth option is there... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Find files older than x days and create a consolidated single tar file.

Hello, I need help in finding files older than x days and creating a single consolidated tar file combining them. Can anyone please provide me a script? Thanks, Dawn (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dawn Bosch
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to tar files older than 30 days

Hi all. Here's my situation: I have performance reports that run every 30 minutes saved in the format: stats_report_11251000.txt stats_report_11251030.txt stats_report_11251100.txt stats_report_11251130.txt (Obviously run at Nov 25 10 AM, 10:30 AM, 11 AM and so on...) I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to remove files older than 60 days

Hi I need help in the script which looks at a contorl file which has a list of file names like xxxx.12345 and I want to take only xxxxx and search in a specific directory and remove the file if its older than 60 days I have written something like this.. but seems to be wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files older than 2 days.

Hi All, I am new to the scripting and using solaris 10 OS. Please suggest me from the below script which modifications need to be done to delete the files more that 2days older. Current script is deleting existing file. # Remove old explorer runs if needed DIR=`dirname ${EXP_TARGET}` if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress the directories which is older than 7 days?

Hi all, how to compress the directories which is older 7 days. If any one knows please help me this is urgent. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshpagadala
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress folders older than x days

hello everyone. in /opt/abc every night there is a new folder created. in that folder there is aseries of files created for that day. i would like to run a script every Sunday night at 02:00 to compress each file separately (preserving its name) who is older than 2 days. i have found this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atux
2 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-05-19 DH_COMPRESS(1)