Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Previously run command.
Operating Systems Linux Previously run command. Post 302308475 by preethgideon on Saturday 18th of April 2009 03:42:06 PM
Old 04-18-2009
Previously run command.

Hi,
In HP-UNIX I used to use ! before the command and type a portion of the comnand then if that command was previously run the whole line used to appear.

Eg : wc -l samplefile.txt

Next if I type !wc And Tab the previously run command would appear on the command prompt.

How to achive this in LINUX?

Thanks and Regards,
Gideon.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to erase files from a tape used previously on Windows operating system

hi all Please may you help. I want to put my unix application backup files using tar cv8 * from a specific folder e.g /u1/sage With new tapes SONY 4mm-DL 90m i can do it with no problem at all. Now I have run out of tapes and I need to use the same kind but they were once used to back... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaac
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the details of the previously running process with PID

OS: Unix or Linux I (only) know the pid of the process which was running earlier (say 5 hrs back) but it is not running now. Is there a way I could find the details of that process? (atleast the name of the process). Please let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay.d
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

go to previously visited directory

Is there a way to go back to the previously visited directory? say im in /dir1 then went to /dir2 and wanted to go back to /dir1. besides from aliasing every directory i have, i was wondering if there's a way to maybe alias a command to go to the previously visited directory just to make it more... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swag:þ
8 Replies

4. AIX

External Snapshot using previously defined lv

I prefer to assign my own lv names rather than the automatic LV creation that the snapshot Can it be done or is IBM's man page flawed? I am on AIX 6.1 TL 04 Machine type 9133-55A All local SCSI storage. I manually create the lv and attempt to create the snapshot: # mklv -y snapfs99... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the permission to previously used in unix ( chmod )

I have changed the premission of a file to 777. Now I would like to change permission to previously used ( UNDO ). Is there any command ?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash question: working with an array of previously set variable strings

while i've used arrays to work with variables, i've never used them to loop through a set of strings and wanted to ask the community for some feedback or assistance. let me be specific. here's my code: # URL port Variables port2195=`nc -z $url2195 2195` port2196=`nc -z $url2196 2196`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
5 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to mount previously-working NFS share from NIM to LPAR

Right, now that I've finally worked out this website, I'll ask my question! I am having an absolute nightmare with NFS on AIX. I have used it many times, and I know what I'm doing, however I cannot fathom what is going on here. I have 2 LPARs, sitting on the same physical host. They are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmooredba
12 Replies
PTS_SOURCE(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     PTS_SOURCE(1)

NAME
pts_source - Read pts commands from a file SYNOPSIS
pts source [-file] <file name> [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts so [-f] <file name> [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts source runs commands from a file as if they were typed in pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts source command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
pts source takes the following options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command shows the output of each command in the file as if it were run normally. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of using pts source in a pts interactive session: % echo examine admin > /tmp/commands.txt % pts interactive pts> source /tmp/commands.txt Name: admin, id: 1, owner: system:administrators, creator: anonymous, membership: 2, flags: S----, group quota: 20. pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1), pts_quit(1), pts_sleep(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SOURCE(1)