Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx? Post 302308470 by gczychi on Saturday 18th of April 2009 02:31:24 PM
Old 04-18-2009
Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi,

I'm brand new here and looking for a solution:

I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails.

But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X. I'm using 10.5.

Where are the files that I need to change? What do I need to add or change?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Gary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. HP-UX

use an alias for "from" address in mailx

Hi, I am sending an attchement using the mailx command in HP-UX, I am using the following command, uuencode test.csv test.csv | mailx -r "Healthy Planet" -m -s "$2" someone@somewhere.com when I do this, I am receiveing the mail and in the from address field, its displayed in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muralikancherla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using mailx to send in the future? Also change "from" address?

Hey, I've got a script using mailx to send an email to the user, but i'd like it if I could have it send the email sometime in the future, not right away. And by future, i mean like 1 minute in the future. And I don't want it to halt the script in anyway. Perhaps there's a way to have it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Root mail going to user "mail" instead of root

I running Linux Mint Debian Edition tracking testing and have started a cron job that will send something to the root mailbox. Mint has heirloom and exim4 installed. However, mail was getting nothing. I realized that in /etc/aliases, there was a line root: mintSince you can't log into the mint... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding e-mail address using "find" command

any useful command to find and e-mail address hardcoded into a cfg file on an specific server? I already tried with:: find . -type f | xargs grep -l "nobody@foundstone.com" Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JLo5621
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx is adding a random "!" in the middle of my mail

I made a script that sends an email with one long line, line looks like this. UY453;HJ345;BM342;JH526;HJ245;HJ234;NM235;........JK453;SD245; The mail has about 200 of those IDs in one line, each ID is separtated by ";". The problem is that there is a random exclemation mark and it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
3 Replies
HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)

NAME
hobbit-mailack - permit acknowledging alerts via e-mail SYNOPSIS
hobbit-mailack --env=FILENAME [--debug] DESCRIPTION
hobbit-mailack normally runs as an input mail-filter for the hobbit user, e.g. by being called from the xymon users' procmailrc(5) file. hobbit-mailack recognizes e-mails that are replies to hobbitd_alert(8) mail alerts, and converts the reply mail into an acknowledge message that is sent to the Xymon system. This permits an administrator to acknowledge an alert via e-mail. ADDING INFORMATION TO THE REPLY MAIL
By default, an acknowledgment is valid for 1 hour. If you know in advance that solving the problem is going to take longer, you can change this by adding delay=DURATION to the subject of your mail reply or on a line in the reply message. Duration is in minutes, unless you add a trailing 'h' (for 'hours'), 'd' (for 'days') or 'w' (for 'weeks'). You can also include a message that will show up on the status-page together with the acknowledgment, e.g. to provide an explanation for the issue or some other information to the users. You can either put it at the end of the subject line as msg=Some random text, or you can just enter it in the e-mail as the first non-blank line of text in the mail (a "delay=N" line is ignored when looking for the message text). USE WITH PROCMAIL
To setup hobbit-mailack, create a .procmailrc file in the xymon-users home-directory with the following contents: DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log :0 | $HOME/server/bin/hobbit-mailack --env=$HOME/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg USE WITH QMAIL
If you are using Qmail to deliver mail locally, you can run hobbit-mailack directly from a .qmail file. Setup the xymon-users .qmail file like this: | $HOME/server/bin/hobbit-mailack --env=$HOME/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg OPTIONS
--env=FILENAME Load environment from FILENAME, usually hobbitserver.cfg. --debug Dont send a message to hobbitd, but dump the message to stdout. SEE ALSO
hobbitd_alert(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)