Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace only first found white spaces with some other characters Post 302308360 by bakunin on Friday 17th of April 2009 08:37:30 PM
Old 04-17-2009
You can do it that way, but it is probably easier to do the changes in a single sed run. It is possible to combine several sed-commands to a single script:

Code:
cat file | sed -n 's/ /,/;s/ /,/;s/ /,/;s/ /,/;s/ /,/p' > newfile

Of course it is possible to create a more complex regexp to change the first four spaces to commas in one sed-command, but it will probably be not any faster (or any more readable) than the presented solution:

Code:
cat file | sed 's/^\([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) /\1,\2,\3,\4,/' > newfile

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(g)awk how to preseve white spaces (FS characters) or read a right subpart of $0?

Hi, I am using gawk (--posix) for extracting some information from something like the following lines (in a text file): sms_snath_hp_C/CORE BUILD PREREQUISITE: total 1556 drwxrwxrwx 2 sn sn 4096 2008-06-27 08:31 ./ drwxrwxrwx 13 sn sn 4096 2009-07-22 14:48 ../ -rwxrwxrwx 1 sn sn ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
14 Replies

4. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace characters with spaces between tag

I have a file where in some records are having the <Start> and <End> tag. There is data before the start tag , between the tages and after the End tag. I want to replace everything between the start & end tag with equivalent spaces. Input File afsdfaksddfs<start>12678<end>sgdfgdfsf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Use Sed Command to replace white spaces with comma from between two fields - Mayank

SHELL SCRIPT Hi I have a file in the following format Mayank Sushant Dheeraj Kunal ARUN Samir How can i replace the white space in between and replace them with a comma?? The resultant output should be Mayank,Sushant Dheeraj,Kunal ARUN,Samir i tried using sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayanksargoch
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

8. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace white spaces of multiple files at once

How to rename multiple files by replacing the white spaces with underscore for ex: 293TrexFH\ \ \ GSM855007RINGB_lhb11_binary.txt 293TrexFH\ \ \ GSM855007RINGB_lhb12_binary.txt 293TrexFH\ \ \ GSM855007RINGB_lhb13_binary.txt 293TrexFH_GSM855007RINGB_lhb11_binary.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank/white spaces and special characters

Hello All , 1. I am trying to do a task where I need to remove Blank spaces from my file , I am usingawk '{$1=$1}{print}' file>file1Input :- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ; Output:- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ;This command is not removing all spaces from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)