Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with ksh/awk/sed script, random # of fields Post 302308334 by awk on Friday 17th of April 2009 05:52:44 PM
Old 04-17-2009
Code:
awk -F, -v OFS=, '{ for (I=2; I<NF; I++)
                    {print $1, $I}
                  }' <<END |\
sort -kn1,1 -kn2,2 -t, -u |\
awk -F, 'NR==1{Save0=$1}
         Save0 == $1{Line=Line "," $2; next}
         Save0 != $1 {print Save0  Line;
                      Line="," $2;
                      Save0=$1;
                     }
         END{print Save0  Line;}'

Produced

Code:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/ksh script to cleanup /etc/group file

Many of my servers' /etc/group file have many userid's that does not exist in /etc/passwd file and they need to be deleted. This happened due to manual manipulation of /etc/passwd files. I need to do this for 40 servers. Can anyone help me in achieving this? Even reducing a step or two will be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random fields

Hi, there folks! Well, trying again to build exercises for my students I come across the following idea. Inputfile: csv with two fields (f1 and f2) separated by a tab. Each field contains half a sentence, which added to the one contained in the other field forms a complete sentence (s), so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: substitution character, AWK or SED?

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script. I should replace in a very great file the character ";" with a space. Example: 2750;~ 2734;~ 2778;~ 2751;~ 2751;~ 2752;~ what the fastest method is? Sed? Awk? Speed is dead main point, Seen the dimensions of the files Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

9. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert field between two fields using awk or sed

Hi All, I am trying to insert two columns in the following text. I tried awk but failed to achieve. Highly appreciate your help DATETIME="28-Sep-2013;20:09:08;" CONTROL="AB" echo "Myfile.txt;11671;7824.90;2822.48" The DATETIME will be inserted at the beginning and CONTROL will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)