Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing files without temporary files Post 302308288 by Ikon on Friday 17th of April 2009 03:28:36 PM
Old 04-17-2009
Code:
FILE=`tail -n 59 activity.file`; echo "$FILE" > activity.file ; echo "activityN" >> activity.file

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Avoid creating temporary files on editing a file in Ubuntu

Hi, My ubuntu flavor always create temporary files having filename followed by ~ on editing. For eg: if I am editing a file called "sip.c", automatically a temporary (bkup) file is getting created with the name "sip.c~". How to avoid this file creation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Temporary files and rm

Hello everyone, I am creating a temporary file in my ksh by using something file filetemp=filetemp.$$ Later on in my script I write to the file $filetemp by 'cat'ing to it. Then in the script I am doing a 'less' on the file to view it. At the end of the script I issue a rm $filetemp 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync temporary files

Hi, I am looking to use rsync in a very specific way, and even though I have trawled the rsync man pages I have not succeeded in seeing a way of doing the following: The temporary files created by rsync should not be created in the destination directory. (I have used --temp-dir option to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which time should be used for deleting temporary files?

I want to create a folder for users to put their temporary files and a folder for users to put their permanent files. For the temporary folder, I need to implement a deletion policy. I would like to know normally which time, ctime, mtime or atime, should be used to implement such deletion policy. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marctc
1 Replies

6. AIX

Hidden temporary files in AIX

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with exit, grep, temporary files, awk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I do not understand how/why the following code is used. Please do not simply refer me to the man pages since I have already reviewed them extensively. Thank you. exit 2 , exit 3, exit 0 I understand the basics of why the exit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
5 Replies
CTXTOOLS(1)							      ConTeXt							       CTXTOOLS(1)

NAME
ctxtools - clean up temporary ConTeXt files, install latest ConTeXt SYNOPSIS
ctxtools [ OPTION ... ] DESCRIPTION
ctxtools is useful for dealing with ConTeXt source and generated files and for installing new versions of ConTeXt. OPTIONS
--help Print the available options. --purgefiles Get rid of many temporary files generated by ConTeXt. You can give the --all option to remove a larger fraction of those files, and the --recurse option to remove these files also in subdirectories. --contextversion Show the date of the ConTeXt macros and the format file. Useful after upgrading ConTeXt (perhaps using --updatecontext) to check whether the new formats and macros are visible to the TeX path searches (see kpsewhich(1). --updatecontext Download the latest ConTeXt distribution and install it in the TEXMFLOCAL tree (see kpsewhich(1) for information on TeX path search- ing). TEXMFLOCAL usually points to a system-wide location. If you want to install the new ConTeXt in your home directory (i.e. an install for one user), then set the TEXMFLOCAL environment variable while running ctxtools. For example, using the syntax of the Bourne shell sh(1): TEXMFLOCAL=$HOME/texmf ctxtools --updatecontext --documentation Generate a .ted file from the source file. See also the --module option to texexec(1). --patternfiles [languagecode] Generate pattern files. You can also give the --all, --xml, and --utf8 options. ENVIRONMENT
TEXMFLOCAL Used by --updatecontext to decide where to install the distribution. SEE ALSO
texexec(1), texmfstart(1). ConTeXt wiki <http://www.contextgarden.net>. BUGS
This manual page is not complete. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mit.edu>. It is in the public domain. ctxtools 1.3.3 January 2007 CTXTOOLS(1)