Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Adding external disk array to a live server Post 302308084 by sbk1972 on Friday 17th of April 2009 04:29:53 AM
Old 04-17-2009
Adding external disk array to a live server

Hi all

Ive got a v440 with an external T3 RAID in a dual bus configuration. I need to add an additional JBOD extension to the disk array via two VDCH cables.

Now, can I do this as the server is live ? Can I just plug the two cables in, switch on the additional extension ? Will this cause the scsi bus to go wild / panic ?

Getting down time for this job will be hard, and the paperwork to get it actioned is 15x harder than the job :-) So, Im aiming at doing the connecting as the server is up, but want to know if its possible ?

I was thinking that I just plug the second array / disk pack in, switch on. But not sure if the current disk array will see it, or if I need to do something for the new disks to be seen via the array.

Any pointers / opinions / or thoughts are humbly recieved :-)

Cheers

Simon K

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Can't access external disk after reboot

Hi, I have an HP RX4640 running HP-UX 11iv3 with two internal disks and its connected to a HP disk system 2400 with fibre cable. If the storage system is online before the server is on then the server can't find the disks. And I get the following error messages: vgchange: Warning: Couldn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

internal disk and external disk question

Hello, We are running sun solaris and it is connected to SAN storage. How do I find what are the disks are internal and what are the disks are connected to SAN? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

problem configuring external array

Hi, We have a Sunfire 4150 with On-Board Internal Raid Controller connected to 4 X 146 GB SAS disks. This also has an External Raid Controller (Storagetek Eight-Port, External HBA Model SG-XPCIESAS-R-EXT-Z) connected to a JBOD array ( Storagetek XTA2530 ) which has 5 X 300 GB Hard disk. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjansukumar
0 Replies

4. Linux

External disk

Hi, I connected a external hard disk to my linux machine(Redhat 5) and shared the external hard disk by using NFS. The problem is hard disk becoming read-only file system after some time, could some one please tell me the reason for it. I created two partitions with ext3 filesystem in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
10 Replies

5. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris - Sendmail - Adding .com.gr in external senders e-mails

Hello Everybody ! I'm Harry from Athens Greece and i have a problem with my Sendmail 8.13.3 installed on Solaris SunOS ultra 5.10. The problem is that when someone sends to us an e-mail and his e-mail address is like : xxxx@xxxx.com, our e-mail server adds up in the senders address a .com.gr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mcasim
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies

8. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding to an array in an external file, and adding elements to it.

I have an array in an external file, "array.txt", which contains: char *testarray={"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight", "Nine"};I want to be able to add an element to this array, and have that element display, whenever I call it, without having to recompile... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
29 Replies