Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type Post 302307955 by quirkasaurus on Thursday 16th of April 2009 05:20:21 PM
Old 04-16-2009
why modify my suggestion and then complain when it doesn't work?

Here is how this stuff is supposed to work:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

struct hdr {
  int x;
  long y;
  char z[16];
  };

struct hdr *iphdr;
struct hdr ethhdr;

int main()
{

ethhdr.x = 7;
ethhdr.y = 81;
strcpy( ethhdr.z, "frogs" );

iphdr = (void *)((long)&ethhdr + (long)sizeof(&ethhdr));

(void)printf( "address becomes: |%x|\n", &ethhdr );
(void)printf( "address becomes: |%x|\n", iphdr );

return 0;
}

OUTPUT:

Code:
address becomes: |20e54|
address becomes: |20e58|

But this line:

Code:
iphdr = (void *)((long)&ethhdr + (long)sizeof(&ethhdr));

can serve no useful purpose.
it is a bug. it's wrong. etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Accesing structure member:Error:dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

$ gcc -Wall -Werror struct.c struct.c: In function `main': struct.c:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type $ cat struct.c #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /*Declaration of structure*/ struct human { char *first; char gender; int age; } man,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
3 Replies

2. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

3. Programming

error: field has incomplete type

Hello there, Here is how it goes - I have written a small test driver as an exercise to "Linux Device Drivers" and as a preparation for writing a real, functional driver. For the sake of seeing how far I got it working (I already implemented the open(0, read(), write() and ioctl() calls) I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyanov
4 Replies

4. Solaris

make[2]: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

dear all when i compile any file under solaris it gives the below warning how can i disable it -bash-3.00$ make GNLPFT177 make: Warning: File `GNLPFT177.rc' has modification time 36 s in the future make GNLPFT177.c make: Entering directory `/devapp/jordev/batch/source' make: Warning: File... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
3 Replies

5. Programming

error: field `fatx_i' has incomplete type

I'm trying to compile a 2.4.26 kernel but I have to apply two patches to it. The patches are: linux-2.4.26-xbox.patch openMosix-2.4.26-1 This is the reason that it doesn't compile. There is only one error but I'm not familiar with C or C++(Unfortunately only Java and some lower-level... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lateralus01
2 Replies

6. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

// Hello all, I am having this error "Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type " on these 2 lines: xpoint = my_point->x; ypoint = my_point->y; I am having no clue y this is happening. Any help would be greately appreciated!!!! #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
2 Replies

7. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to a shared memory struct

I have what should be a relatively simple program (fadec.c) that maps a struct from an included header file (fadec.h) to a shared memory region, but I’m struggling accessing members in the struct from the pointer returned by shmat. Ultimately, I want to access members in the shared memory structure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arette
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

9. Programming

Compilation Error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I am getting a dereferencing pointer to incomplete type error when i compile the following code on lines highlighted in red. Can anyone help me in identifying what is wrong in the code? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> typedef struct{ int info; struct node* link ; } node; void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
3 Replies

10. Programming

Warning: pointer type mismatch

Hi all, I'm new programming in C, so I had the next message in my code: Dual.c:88:20: warning: pointer type mismatch in conditional expression : &clientSa.sin6.sin6.sin6_addr, Any help would be great #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: godna
1 Replies
GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)

NAME
git-update-ref - Update the object name stored in a ref safely SYNOPSIS
git update-ref [-m <reason>] (-d <ref> [<oldvalue>] | [--no-deref] <ref> <newvalue> [<oldvalue>]) DESCRIPTION
Given two arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs. E.g. git update-ref HEAD <newvalue> updates the current branch head to the new object. Given three arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs, after verifying that the current value of the <ref> matches <oldvalue>. E.g. git update-ref refs/heads/master <newvalue> <oldvalue> updates the master branch head to <newvalue> only if its current value is <oldvalue>. You can specify 40 "0" or an empty string as <oldvalue> to make sure that the ref you are creating does not exist. It also allows a "ref" file to be a symbolic pointer to another ref file by starting with the four-byte header sequence of "ref:". More importantly, it allows the update of a ref file to follow these symbolic pointers, whether they are symlinks or these "regular file symbolic refs". It follows real symlinks only if they start with "refs/": otherwise it will just try to read them and update them as a regular file (i.e. it will allow the filesystem to follow them, but will overwrite such a symlink to somewhere else with a regular filename). If --no-deref is given, <ref> itself is overwritten, rather than the result of following the symbolic pointers. In general, using git update-ref HEAD "$head" should be a lot safer than doing echo "$head" > "$GIT_DIR/HEAD" both from a symlink following standpoint and an error checking standpoint. The "refs/" rule for symlinks means that symlinks that point to "outside" the tree are safe: they'll be followed for reading but not for writing (so we'll never write through a ref symlink to some other tree, if you have copied a whole archive by creating a symlink tree). With -d flag, it deletes the named <ref> after verifying it still contains <oldvalue>. LOGGING UPDATES
If config parameter "core.logAllRefUpdates" is true and the ref is one under "refs/heads/", "refs/remotes/", "refs/notes/", or the symbolic ref HEAD; or the file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" exists then git update-ref will append a line to the log file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" (dereferencing all symbolic refs before creating the log name) describing the change in ref value. Log lines are formatted as: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer LF Where "oldsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value previously stored in <ref>, "newsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value of <newvalue> and "committer" is the committer's name, email address and date in the standard GIT committer ident format. Optionally with -m: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer TAB message LF Where all fields are as described above and "message" is the value supplied to the -m option. An update will fail (without changing <ref>) if the current user is unable to create a new log file, append to the existing log file or does not have committer information available. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)