Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Opera on the Rise? FF in Decline? Post 302307949 by Neo on Thursday 16th of April 2009 05:06:59 PM
Old 04-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housni
But I've found that FF takes up massive amounts of CPU even without a single flash object running in it. It also behaves badly on sites that are AJAX intensive...such as gmail, for example
Agreed. I have seen FF3 scorch the CPU when no flash is running.

Then again, one of the issues with tabbed browsing is that if we are not careful, we can have 20 or more tabs running before you know it, each running something "hot".....

Frankly speaking, after running Opera for a week or so, I have scorched the CPU on my laptop on at least one occasion. So, I am not 100% sure if the problem is isolated to FF3, as I am starting to see a similar condition on Opera Smilie (on both Windows XP and Mac OS X)

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

The OPERA browser

I have just seen someone using the OPERA browser - it looks quite good and seems to have a friendly GUI. Can I get this for UNIX(Solaris 8 is my OS)??? Does anyone have this installed on their UNIX workstation?? How is it performing?? All comments and advice is welcome!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
1 Replies

2. AIX

lvm_queryvg call does not work properly and results in a sudden memory rise.

On AIX 5.3 host, the lvm_queryvg call does not work properly and results in a sudden memory rise. This is happening on one particular host and the call works fine on another host. Is this a known issue and is there any patch available for this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiworld
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Opera 9.5 for Sparc

Has anyone gotten Opera 9.5 to work? I'm using Solaris Sparc 5.10. The browser is unusable. It crashes even when viewing Opera's Desktop Team blog. I've asked Opera about this, but no reply. I've never been able to get the 9.5 betas to work either. From one Opera user's blog, I don't see any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sudden rise in heap memory of a process

Hi, There is a abrupt memory rise observed for a process on solaris. When the process is started the memory is around 268 MB and is stable for a day. Then suddenly the memory increased to 4364 MB. Below is the pmap -xs output for the process (only for heap) Address Kbytes ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nidds
1 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)