Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shadow file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shadow file Post 302307948 by pinnacle on Thursday 16th of April 2009 05:06:57 PM
Old 04-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith
smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7:::

I think there is some misunderstanding.
I want to convert 10063 i.e 3rd field in shadow file from days format to date format of YYYY-MM-DD

Suppose the 3rd field is 365 then this should be converted to 12-31-1970
because 3rd Field indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970)

Can someone help me how to do this using ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. Programming

Doubt on shadow file

Hi guys, I have a doubt on shadow file ... In the Unix servers in which I am working, I cud see that the shadow file has only one permission set .. tht is read permission for only root user ... (-r--------) .... So my basic doubt here is that how this file is being written then ... only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

4. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending LK to the shadow file

Hey guys.. i need to be able to append 'LK' to a password field in the shadow file I cannot use commands such as usermod chsh i need to directly be able to manupilate the files through a menu driven interface. So in other words write to the shadow file How could i do this? so far... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Regenerate the Shadow file

I guess the earlier problem I had with changing user passwords and creating new users is related to the shadow file. Anytime I change something to /etc/passwd or shadow I get locked out. HOW DO I REGENERATE THIS FILE. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris :regarding /etc/shadow file

what does the last column in /etc/shadow file indicate?? i read man page,it tells its FLAG..but i am not able to understand exactly why its there :confused: thanks in advance, shekhar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies
lchage(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lchage(8)

NAME
lchage - Display or change user password policy SYNOPSIS
lchage [OPTION]... user DESCRIPTION
Displays or allows changing password policy of user. OPTIONS
-d, --date=days Set the date of last password change to days after Jan 1 1970. -E, --expire=days Set the account expiration date to days after Jan 1 1970. Set days to -1 to disable account expiration. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -I, --inactive=days Disable the account after days after password expires (after the user user is required to change the password). -l, --list Only list current user's policy and make no changes. -m, --mindays=days Require at least days days between password changes. Set days to 0 to disable this checking. -M, --maxdays=days Require changing the password after days since last password change. Set days to 99999 to disable this checking. -W, --warndays=days Start warning the user days before password expires (before the user is required to change the password). EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser Jan 12 2005 lchage(8)