Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Opera on the Rise? FF in Decline? Post 302307906 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of April 2009 03:21:24 PM
Old 04-16-2009
Most of the time when firefox crashes its Flash Player that's doing it, most of the time it's consuming 99% CPU because each open tab has 4 or 5 flash ads, but occasionally when I've got dozens and dozens of tabs open, it can hesitate quite badly. I can live with that.

I don't really trust opera. Its a closed-source monolith that used to be for-purchase, evolved into an captive-audience ad-supported program, then finally dropped the ads to become what it is today, but there's nothing stopping them from an abrupt about-face when they start playing with revenue models again.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

The OPERA browser

I have just seen someone using the OPERA browser - it looks quite good and seems to have a friendly GUI. Can I get this for UNIX(Solaris 8 is my OS)??? Does anyone have this installed on their UNIX workstation?? How is it performing?? All comments and advice is welcome!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
1 Replies

2. AIX

lvm_queryvg call does not work properly and results in a sudden memory rise.

On AIX 5.3 host, the lvm_queryvg call does not work properly and results in a sudden memory rise. This is happening on one particular host and the call works fine on another host. Is this a known issue and is there any patch available for this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiworld
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Opera 9.5 for Sparc

Has anyone gotten Opera 9.5 to work? I'm using Solaris Sparc 5.10. The browser is unusable. It crashes even when viewing Opera's Desktop Team blog. I've asked Opera about this, but no reply. I've never been able to get the 9.5 betas to work either. From one Opera user's blog, I don't see any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sudden rise in heap memory of a process

Hi, There is a abrupt memory rise observed for a process on solaris. When the process is started the memory is around 268 MB and is stable for a day. Then suddenly the memory increased to 4364 MB. Below is the pmap -xs output for the process (only for heap) Address Kbytes ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nidds
1 Replies
PROC_COMPARE(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PROC_COMPARE(3)

NAME
proc_compare -- compare two processes' interactivity LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysctl.h> int proc_compare(const struct kinfo_proc2 *p1, const struct kinfo_lwp *l1, const struct kinfo_proc2 *p2, const struct kinfo_lwp *l2); DESCRIPTION
The proc_compare() function compares two processes that are on the same terminal for their interactivity. This means that the process returned is the one that has a better chance being the active foreground process on that tty. This algorithm is used in the kernel for SIGINFO reporting and in userland by w(1). The algorithm used is as follows: o If one of them is runnable, it is preferred. o If both are runnable, the one with the largest CPU percent is preferred. o In a CPU percent tie, the one started more recently wins. o If none are runnable, and one of them is a zombie, the non-zombie is preferred o If both are zombies, the one started more recently wins. o If neither is a zombie, the one with the smaller sleep time wins. o In a tie, and one is sleeping in non-interruptible sleep, prefer that one. o If both are in the same state, the one started more recently is preferred. In all cases where the most recently started wins, if there was no winner, the one with the largest PID wins. RETURN VALUES
The proc_compare() function returns 0 if p1 is to be preferred and 1 if p2 is to be preferred. SEE ALSO
w(1) HISTORY
The proc_compare() was extracted from src/sys/kern/tty.c and src/usr.bin/w/proc_compare.c and merged in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
October 20, 2011 BSD