Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: T2000 Hardware RAID
Operating Systems Solaris T2000 Hardware RAID Post 302307844 by honmin on Thursday 16th of April 2009 12:27:26 PM
Old 04-16-2009
Thanks incredible, the disk swapping is working fine.

By the way, will OBP's delete-volume work in detaching the hardware mirror while preserving the data?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID

I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
7 Replies

2. Solaris

How to setup hardware RAID on a T2000

Hello all We've just bought a T2000. It has two disks and I'm trying to figure out how to create a mirror of the boot disk. I understand that I have to boot into single user mode from DVD and then use the raidctl command to set up the mirror and label the volume afterwards. Format returns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

3. Solaris

T2000 RAID Question

New to the boards here so please bear with me! I have a T2000 server with Solaris 10 installed on it. Disk 0 is the only disk currently being used, as I do NOT have a RAID set up. Disk 1 is just sitting there looking pretty. I'd like to set up a mirrored RAID in order to fully utilize both... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phi148
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Raid problem on T2000

Hi all, First post so be gentile :) It's my first time installing Solaris on T2000 server. I have 2 72GB HD's on it. After configuring HW raid and running raidctl command I get this output: bash-3.00# raidctl -l c0t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Obi-Wan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

8. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies
PVMOVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 PVMOVE(8)

NAME
pvmove - move physical extents SYNOPSIS
pvmove [--abort] [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-b|--background] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-i|--interval Seconds] [--noudevsync] [-v|--ver- bose] [-n|--name LogicalVolume] [SourcePhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...] [DestinationPhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...]...]] DESCRIPTION
pvmove allows you to move the allocated physical extents (PEs) on SourcePhysicalVolume to one or more other physical volumes (PVs). You can optionally specify a source LogicalVolume in which case only extents used by that LV will be moved to free (or specified) extents on DestinationPhysicalVolume(s). If no DestinationPhysicalVolume is specifed, the normal allocation rules for the volume group are used. If pvmove gets interrupted for any reason (e.g. the machine crashes) then run pvmove again without any PhysicalVolume arguments to restart any moves that were in progress from the last checkpoint. Alternatively use pvmove --abort at any time to abort them at the last check- point. You can run more than one pvmove at once provided they are moving data off different SourcePhysicalVolumes, but additional pvmoves will ignore any logical volumes already in the process of being changed, so some data might not get moved. pvmove works as follows: 1. A temporary 'pvmove' logical volume is created to store details of all the data movements required. 2. Every logical volume in the volume group is searched for contiguous data that need moving according to the command line arguments. For each piece of data found, a new segment is added to the end of the pvmove LV. This segment takes the form of a temporary mirror to copy the data from the original location to a newly-allocated location. The original LV is updated to use the new temporary mirror segment in the pvmove LV instead of accessing the data directly. 3. The volume group metadata is updated on disk. 4. The first segment of the pvmove logical volume is activated and starts to mirror the first part of the data. Only one segment is mir- rored at once as this is usually more efficient. 5. A daemon repeatedly checks progress at the specified time interval. When it detects that the first temporary mirror is in-sync, it breaks that mirror so that only the new location for that data gets used and writes a checkpoint into the volume group metadata on disk. Then it activates the mirror for the next segment of the pvmove LV. 6. When there are no more segments left to be mirrored, the temporary logical volume is removed and the volume group metadata is updated so that the logical volumes reflect the new data locations. Note that this new process cannot support the original LVM1 type of on-disk metadata. Metadata can be converted using vgconvert(8). OPTIONS
--abort Abort any moves in progress. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -b, --background Run the daemon in the background. -i, --interval Seconds Report progress as a percentage at regular intervals. -n, --name LogicalVolume Move only the extents belonging to LogicalVolume from SourcePhysicalVolume instead of all allocated extents to the destination phys- ical volume(s). EXAMPLES
To move all logical extents of any logical volumes on /dev/hda4 to free physical extents elsewhere in the volume group, giving verbose run- time information, use: pvmove -v /dev/hda4 SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgconvert(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) PVMOVE(8)