Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install new packages when disk space is full Post 302307724 by pludi on Thursday 16th of April 2009 07:55:19 AM
Old 04-16-2009
Option 1: Uninstall other packages, clean up /tmp, ...

Option 2 (only possible if you've got space left on the drive): reboot to maintenance mode, deactivate the swap partition, remove the swap partition, create an extended partition, create 2 logical partitions, on of them swap, the other for /usr. Format the 2 new partitions, move anything below /usr to the new partition, and remount it at /usr. Make it permanent by adding it to /etc/fstab

Option 3 (if you've got a free extra HDD): create a partiton, format it, continue like above, starting with the moving of /usr

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk full

Please solve the following NOTICE HTFS:No space on dev hd(1/42) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msuheel
2 Replies

2. Solaris

how to install packages into specific dirs!!!

Hi all, Am a newbie and would like to know how to install packages into specific directories of my choice , rather than the defaults!!! Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

3. Linux

Unable to remove file using rm: Disk space is full

Hi all, My disk space is 100% full. df -k <dir> -> 100% One of my debug files consume huge amount of space and i want to remove the same to start off fresh debugs. However i'm unable to remove the file giving out the following error message: rm -f debug.out22621 rm: cannot remove... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
8 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris 8 / disk space almost full

Hi All, My Solaris 8 firewall server is getting full on the / filesystem. I don't know which one should I delete. I think there's no more to delete on the file like logs or temp file. Does someone knows about deleting a safe file (or folder) on FS like /usr, /opt, /platform, /kernel, /sbin?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Help required to install packages

Hi All, I was told to install multiple packages on my solaris server. Is it possible to install multiple packages from a directory or CD. Or I need to install one by one. Please suggest. Thanks, Deepak (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

6. SCO

SCO507 not recognizing entire disk space on install

Hello, I'm trying to install 507 on an HP G5 ML350 server, and I've hit a snag. The installation goes fine until I try to customize the Unix partition on the harddrive--SCO will only see 50 GB of disk space (49852 to be exact). I've installed an HP P400 Smart Array Controller and set up 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asab
3 Replies

7. Programming

How to install openGL packages?

Hi, Any one help me regarding how to install openGL packages to work in linux. And i installed some of the packages(gl,glu), but i don't know whether they are installed are not .. Which command is should use to check whether openGL is installed are not .. I am Thankful for any kind of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravikishore
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk Space full

I was tryin to copy a large file under /tmp location. I guess the disk space got full and i got fork error. Then I tried removing some files but the shell did not let me do anything bash> rm apache22.tar bash: fork: Not enough space bash> pwd /tmp bash> vmstat 1 bash: fork: Not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Swap space (almost) full

Hello, This is RHEL 5.7. swap is almost full, but I am not sure, what to release and how to release space. This is production server so I would like to try all possible options before reboot. # top top - 00:18:26 up 327 days, 7:01, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.21, 0.18 Tasks: 782 total, ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
GPTBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						GPTBOOT(8)

NAME
gptboot -- GPT bootcode for UFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a UFS partition on a GPT-partitioned disk. gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot par- tition with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. PARTITION ATTRIBUTES
gptboot checks and manages several attributes of GPT UFS partitions. bootme Attempt to boot from this partition. If more than one partition has the bootme attribute set, gptboot will attempt to boot each one until successful. bootonce Attempt to boot from this partition only one time. Setting this attribute with gpart(8) automatically also sets the bootme attribute. Multiple partitions may have the bootonce and bootme attributes set. bootfailed The bootfailed attribute marks partitions that had the bootonce attribute set, but failed to boot. This attribute is managed by the system. See BOOTING and POST-BOOT ACTIONS below for details. USAGE
For normal usage, the user does not have to set or manage any of the partition attributes. gptboot will boot from the first UFS partition found. The bootonce attribute can be used for testing an upgraded operating system on an already-working computer. The existing system partition is left untouched, and the new version of the operating system to be tested is installed on another partition. The bootonce attribute is set on that new test partition. The next boot is attempted from the test partition. Success or failure will be shown in the system log files. After a successful boot of the test partition, a user script can check the logs and change the bootme attributes so the test partition becomes the new system partition. Because the bootonce attribute is cleared after an attempted boot, a failed boot will not leave the system attempting to boot from a partition that will never succeed. Instead, the system will boot from the older, known-working operating system that has not been modified. If the bootme attribute is set on any partitions, booting will be attempted from them first. If no partitions with bootme attributes are found, booting will be attempted from the first UFS partition found. BOOTING
gptboot first reads the partition table. All freebsd-ufs partitions with only the bootonce attribute set, indicating a failed boot, are set to bootfailed. gptboot then scans through all of the freebsd-ufs partitions. Boot behavior depends on the combination of bootme and bootonce attributes set on those partitions. bootonce + bootme Highest priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with both of these attributes. On each partition, the bootme attribute is removed and the boot attempted. bootme Middle priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with the bootme attribute. If neither bootonce nor bootme attributes are found on any partitions, booting is attempted from the first freebsd-ufs partition on the disk. POST-BOOT ACTIONS The startup script /etc/rc.d/gptboot checks the attributes of freebsd-ufs partitions on all GPT disks. Partitions with the bootfailed attribute generate a ``boot from X failed'' system log message. Partitions with only the bootonce attribute, indicating a partition that successfully booted, generate a ``boot from X succeeded'' system log message. The bootfailed attributes are cleared from all the partitions. The bootonce attribute is cleared from the partition that successfully booted. There is normally only one of these. FILES
/boot/gptboot bootcode binary /boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition, usually the first partition on the disk. A ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)) is typically installed in combination with gptboot. Install gptboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 gptboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 Set the bootme attribute for partition 2: gpart set -a bootme -i 2 ada0 Set the bootonce attribute for partition 2, automatically also setting the bootme attribute: gpart set -a bootonce -i 2 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), rc.conf(5), boot(8), gpart(8) HISTORY
gptboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
This manual page written by Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 5, 2014 BSD