Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Assignment, need help!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Assignment, need help! Post 302307631 by gordonheimer on Thursday 16th of April 2009 12:56:46 AM
Old 04-16-2009
well we are currently working on redirection and pipelines, do I need to use a wildcard to search for the .txt documents?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do my assignment?????

my lecturer want to do an assignment about telnet server..first, he want us to download the telnet server..then he want we do about copy files and share files by using the telnet server....what is that??? and one more thing is how to do 'ping'???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amelia
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

New Assignment

All Sys Administrators, With due respect I would like to know what should be BEST Things to do when LEAVING one job , and what Precaution MUST be taken while taking over new JOB?? Please Discuss in detail the STEP to be taken for both the TIME ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RE value assignment

Hi all How do I assign a pattern to a variable after a match is found using a regular expression in PERL? For example using a regular expression (RE) and matching as given if ($_ =~ /(?:\s*+\s*,)*\s*+\s*/) I want to assign the pattern matched by the RE to a variable. e.g. given the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Spell Checker Assignment

hello, im a new member to the forum and im doing a assignment for unix command and we have to make a spell checker and im a little confused about the directions .. ill post them below and continue.. Northern Illinois University CSCI 330-Unix Command Write a shell script that implements a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravens52
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX- Database creating/viewing/updating assignment

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have posted the assignment below, I am new to unix programming and am having a very hard time knowing where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: student1989
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Assignment Help

1. List commands to create the directory hierarchy $HOME/a/b/c in vi to replace all occurences of TMP with tmp in lines 1 through 10 in vi to replace first occurence of CPU_file with DISK_file at line 15 2. Explain with a very simple example, usage of "ls -a" 3. What do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessesaini
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a shell script which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a little help with assignment

Hello all im currently working on this assignment and a little stump on how to check for an argument heres the instructions: Step 4: Modify your script so that if there is an argument called TestError you display the following error message with your usage statement. TestError found Example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsn3971
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX assignment or value returns

Hi Folks, In UNIX, I am quite confused on how to use or when to use ${} $() $ . For Example , if i use variable called "i" then when do i use, ${i} $(i) $i or sometime with arithmetic operations $(i+1) like this or ${i}+1 quite confused... Please help... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies
yumdb(8)																  yumdb(8)

NAME
yumdb - query and alter the Yum database SYNOPSIS
yumdb [command] [packages ...] DESCRIPTION
This command is used to query and alter the yum database, which is a simple key value store used in conjunction with the rpm database. Any installed package can have arbitrary data in the yum database, however the main use case is to store extra data about packages as they are installed. yumdb commands are: yumdb get <key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will get the value for the given key, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb set <key> <value> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will set the value for the given key, to the given value, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb del <key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will delete the given key, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb rename <old-key> <new-key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will rename the given old-key, to the given new-key, limiting to any specified packages. If the old-key does not exist, noth- ing happens. yumdb rename-force <old-key> <new-key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will rename the given old-key, to the given new-key, limiting to any specified packages. If the old-key does not exist, new- key is deleted. yumdb copy <old-key> <new-key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will copy the given old-key, to the given new-key, limiting to any specified packages. If the old-key does not exist, nothing happens. yumdb copy-force <old-key> <new-key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will copy the given old-key, to the given new-key, limiting to any specified packages. If the old-key does not exist, new-key is deleted. yumdb search <key> <wildcard>... This command will search all packages for the given key, against any of the given wildcard values. yumdb exist <key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will print any packages which have the given key, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb unset <key> [pkg-wildcard]... This command will print any packages which do not have the given key, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb info [pkg-wildcard]... This command will display all the data stored in the yumdb, limiting to any specified packages. yumdb sync [pkg-wildcard]... This command will add any missing data to the yumdb from the repositories, limiting to any specified packages. This is useful to run if you have had any aborted transactions (and thus. missing yumdb data). Note that "yumdb sync" cannot know all the information that would have been put into the yumdb at the time. yumdb sync-force [pkg-wildcard]... This command will replace any data in the yumdb from the repositories, limiting to any specified packages. EXAMPLES
List all the packages which don't have a from_repo key/value: yumdb unset from_repo List all the packages which were installed as dependencies: yumdb search reason dep WELL KNOWN KEYS
Note that there is no limit to the number of keys that can be created or what they may contain (for installed packages only). However this is a list of well known keys, and what they store. checksum_data checksum_type These keys store the createrepo checksum, and it's type, of the available package yum installed. Note that these are used by "yum version" to calculate the rpmdb version. command_line This key stores the entire command line, of the yum command (if it was called). from_repo from_repo_revision from_repo_timestamp These keys take values from the available package yum installed, and store the repo id, it's revision and timestamp. reason This key stores either "user" or "dep", currently. To mark if the user requested the package to be installed, or if it was brought in automatically as a dependency. Note that this is kept over updates. releasever This key stores the value of releasever, when the package was installed. installonly If this attribute has the value "keep" then this package will not be removed automatically by the installonly process (and does not count towards the installonly_limit). SEE ALSO
yum (8) rpm (8) AUTHORS
James Antill <james.antill@redhat.com>. James Antill 8 April 2010 yumdb(8)