Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zombies Post 302307562 by methyl on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 07:02:52 PM
Old 04-15-2009
A true zombie process is already dead. Your Operating System should clean them up for you. If they persist then they are usually stuck on unfinished i/o and it takes a reboot to remove them from the process table.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Zombies

Hello, quick question: I have a zombie process listed with 'top' Could someone help me find out what it the PID is for it, so I can kill $PID. $ model 9000/800/rp3440 HP-UX bigassserver B.11.31 U 9000/800 3085785128 unlimited-user license thanks! System: bigassserver ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
23 Replies
exit(2) 							System Calls Manual							   exit(2)

Name
       _exit - terminate a process

Syntax
       #include <stdlib.h>
       void _exit(status)
       int status;

Description
       The function, terminates a calling process with the following consequences:

o    All of the file descriptors open in the calling process are closed.

o    If	the  parent  process  of  the calling process is executing a it is notified of the calling process's termination and the low-order
	    eight bits of status are made available to it.  For further information, see

o    The parent process ID of all of the calling process's existing child processes and zombie processes are also set  to  1.   This  means
	    that the initialization process inherits each of these processes as well.  For further information, see

o    Each  attached  shared memory segment is detached and the value of shm_nattach in the data structure associated with its shared memory
	    identifier is decremented by 1.

o    For each semaphore for which the calling process has set a semadj value, (see ) that semadj value is added to the semval of the speci-
	    fied semaphore.

o    If the process has a process, text, or data lock, an unlock is performed.

o    An accounting record is written on the accounting file if the system's accounting routine is enabled. For more information, see

Calling	directly  circumvents  all  cleanup.   Most C programs call the library routine which performs cleanup actions in the standard I/O
       library before calling

Environment
   POSIX, System V
       The function differs from the System V as well as POSIX definition in that even if the calling process  is  a  process  group  leader,  the
       SIGHUP signal is not sent to each process that has a process group ID equal to that of the calling process.

The function also differs in that the routine is declared as type int instead of type void.

See Also
       fork(2), wait(2), exit(3), signal(3).

exit(2)