Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zombies Post 302307416 by victorn on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 09:40:19 AM
Old 04-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Send the parent process (identified by the column PPID in ps -ef) a SIGCHLD.
So do i quote the process number(PID) and the PPID?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karpolu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

4. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

5. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Zombies

Hello, quick question: I have a zombie process listed with 'top' Could someone help me find out what it the PID is for it, so I can kill $PID. $ model 9000/800/rp3440 HP-UX bigassserver B.11.31 U 9000/800 3085785128 unlimited-user license thanks! System: bigassserver ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
23 Replies
FORK(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a child process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork creates a child process that differs from the parent process only in its PID and PPID, and in the fact that resource utilizations are set to 0. File locks and pending signals are not inherited. Under Linux, fork is implemented using copy-on-write pages, so the only penalty incurred by fork is the time and memory required to dupli- cate the parent's page tables, and to create a unique task structure for the child. RETURN VALUE
On success, the PID of the child process is returned in the parent's thread of execution, and a 0 is returned in the child's thread of exe- cution. On failure, a -1 will be returned in the parent's context, no child process will be created, and errno will be set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN fork cannot allocate sufficient memory to copy the parent's page tables and allocate a task structure for the child. ENOMEM fork failed to allocate the necessary kernel structures because memory is tight. CONFORMING TO
The fork call conforms to SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3. SEE ALSO
clone(2), execve(2), vfork(2), wait(2) Linux 1.2.9 1995-06-10 FORK(2)