Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how can i find sqrt of a any number without using expr Post 302307336 by otheus on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 06:15:26 AM
Old 04-15-2009
Heh, That expression is very problematic. Here's one that works. The first argument is a number, which becomes 0 if it's not provided or if it is less than 0. The second argument is the number of decimal places to output -- or 4 if not provided.
Code:
y=$1
scale=4
# Make sure input is a valid number.
test -n "$y" || y=0; test "$y" -ge 0 || y=0
# Make sure scale is some number
test -z "$2" || scale=$2
# calc square root via bc
{ echo "scale=$scale"; echo "sqrt($y)" ; } | bc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sqrt

Hi! when i'm trying to compile this lite example on my linux machine I'll get errors and i don't know why.. #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> /* needed by sqrt() */ int main() { printf("%f", sqrt(10.0)); return (0); } this is the error: /tmp/cc33hNVHK.o: In function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CreamHarry
1 Replies

2. Programming

sqrt is not find???

I was writing a simple program in linux, which includes sqrt function of c. I included the math.h. But when I use gcc to compile it, it gave an error message: /home/murat/tmp/ccOv9upo.o(.text+0x4b): In function `main': : undefined reference to `sqrt' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murataht
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create SQRT function in catenate file

HI, I have a file which i catenate and using the fields in the file, I would like to get sqrt of it. I tried to man the function but it normally would need an echo as well as bc. What I am intending to find out is catenate a file where let say cat a.txt| awk ' { t= h*($3+$2); t=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find first digit in string using expr index

I have looked for hours for an answer, so I have decided to request your guidance. I want to substract the first number (series of digits) contained in a string. This string is the output of another command. The substring (number) can be located at any position inside the string. I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Simple reg expr validate 6 digits number

Hi there! I'm trying to validate a simple 6 digits number with reg expr. I ONLY want 6 digits so when i type 7 digits the script should no validate the number. I've write this code: #!/usr/bin/perl while(<STDIN>){ if($_=~/\d{6}/){ print "Bingo!\n"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BufferExploder
2 Replies

6. Programming

C Library reference error using sqrt() - will not compile.

This so basic that it should work.... Any ideas would be appreciared. Using a number directly in the sqrt allows it to compile. primrose > cat a.c #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main(void) { double abcd=9; printf("%f\n",sqrt(abcd)); } primrose > gcc a.c Undefined first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plastichead
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sqrt in bash

Hi, i have a the following script: #!/bin/bash a=3 b=9 let "c= b*a" let "d=sqrt $c " echo $d But when i execute the code, it gives me the an error saying: line 5: let: d=sqrt 27 : syntax error in expression (error token is "27 ") Can any body tell me what I'm doing wrong? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command - using regular expr

Hi, I would like to use find command to find file with a predefined extension for example find . modules/*.ksh *.lib I thought it's possible to use something like : find . modules/*. but it does not work. is there any other way? Thanks you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: Is SQRT(n) possible in a POSIX compliant shell? A: Yes within limits.

Hi all... This is just a fun project to see if it is possible to get a square root of a positive integer from 1 to 9200000 to 6 decimal places on a 64 bit architecture machine. It is coded around dash and the results show the values from 0 to 10000. Complex numbers can easily be catered for by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
ttk::scale(n)							 Tk Themed Widget						     ttk::scale(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ttk::scale - Create and manipulate a scale widget SYNOPSIS
ttk::scale pathName ?options...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
A ttk::scale widget is typically used to control the numeric value of a linked variable that varies uniformly over some range. A scale dis- plays a slider that can be moved along over a trough, with the relative position of the slider over the trough indicating the value of the variable. STANDARD OPTIONS
-class -cursor -style -takefocus See the ttk_widget manual entry for details on the standard options. WIDGET-SPECIFIC OPTIONS [-command command] Specifies the prefix of a Tcl command to invoke whenever the scale's value is changed via a widget command. The actual command consists of this option followed by a space and a real number indicating the new value of the scale. [-from from] A real value corresponding to the left or top end of the scale. [-length length] Specifies the desired long dimension of the scale in screen units (i.e. any of the forms acceptable to Tk_GetPixels). For vertical scales this is the scale's height; for horizontal scales it is the scale's width. [-orient orient] Specifies which orientation whether the widget should be laid out horizontally or vertically. Must be either hori- zontal or vertical or an abbreviation of one of these. [-to to] Specifies a real value corresponding to the right or bottom end of the scale. This value may be either less than or greater than the from option. [-value value] Specifies the current floating-point value of the variable. [-variable variable] Specifies the name of a global variable to link to the scale. Whenever the value of the variable changes, the scale will update to reflect this value. Whenever the scale is manipulated interactively, the variable will be modified to reflect the scale's new value. WIDGET COMMAND
pathName cget option Returns the current value of the specified option; see ttk::widget(n). pathName configure ?option? ?value option value ...? Modify or query widget options; see ttk::widget(n). pathName get ?x y? Get the current value of the -value option, or the value corresponding to the coordinates x,y if they are specified. X and y are pixel coordinates relative to the scale widget origin. pathName identify x y Returns the name of the element at position x, y. See ttk::widget(n). pathName instate statespec ?script? Test the widget state; see ttk::widget(n). pathName set value Set the value of the widget (i.e. the -value option) to value. The value will be clipped to the range given by the -from and -to options. Note that setting the linked variable (i.e. the variable named in the -variable option) does not cause such clipping. pathName state ?stateSpec? Modify or query the widget state; see ttk::widget(n). INTERNAL COMMANDS
pathName coords ?value? Get the coordinates corresponding to value, or the coordinates corresponding to the current value of the -value option if value is omitted. SEE ALSO
ttk::widget(n), scale(n) KEYWORDS
scale, slider, trough, widget Tk 8.5 ttk::scale(n)