Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /var/spool/mail
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /var/spool/mail Post 302307269 by siba.s.nayak on Wednesday 15th of April 2009 03:39:43 AM
Old 04-15-2009
/var/spool/mail

Hi,

How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail?
I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

in var/spool/mail, same entry with different users....

i am on aix, in the /var/spool/mail ,i have an entry as below, after doing a ls -ltr -rw-rw---- 1 ai mail 3898 Sep 02 11:26 mei -rw-rw---- 1 root mail 22900 Nov 08 14:55 root shouldnt the ai and mei be the same just like root, root? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How safe is it to remove files(/var/spool/mail)?

How safe is it to remove these spooler mail files. I need to make some room in the /usr directory? Any ideas? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larcom61
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I delete the file var/spool/mail/news?

The file var/spool/mail/news has grown very large and takes up too much space. Can I delete this without any problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I zero var/spool/mail/mail

The mail file in the directory var/spool/mail is very large. Can I zero this (>) without losing any unopened mails there may be? There are about 10 mail accounts. Using RedHat Linux. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I read mail in /var/spool/mail?

How can I read mail sent to /var/spool/mail? I do not have pine installed so forget about that...is there some generic utility I can use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/VAR/SPOOL/MAIL question

Hi, We have all the user account in a home direcory where their mail is stored and retrieved by email clients. We do however have /var/spool/mail with all the user accounts in it as well Our sendmail.cf is configured to use /var/spool/mqueue as the queue so .what is /var/spool/mail being used... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail /VAR/SPOOL/MAIL

Hi, First Question: In our company our users have their mailboxes in /var/spool/mail When I look at the users file it seems as if every email sent/received is in that user file! Is this because IMAP is being used or is that just how sendmail works? Second Question: How is that when I create... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail is not sent, instead just coping into /var/spool/queue dir

Hi, I have some problems w/ the sendmail. I see that messages are queued in the /var/spool/mqueue and they are never sent to the recipients. This problem just suddenly started without any modifications in the current configuration. I already started and stop the sendmail and it did not help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktanya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent

Hello, I have a bunch of cron jobs in the crontab. For some reason mail from the cron jobs started going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent. Does anyone know why mail from cron jobs would go to the queue instead of being sent? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
9 Replies

10. AIX

/var/spool/mail/ issues

Hi My box is running with AIX 6100-06 and Im the root user of this box My /var gets filled up often to 100% When I investigate I find that it is the below file which increases rapidly /var/spool/mail/pdgadmin I dont know why this file is growing up. Can any one assist me on this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies
PAM_MAIL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						       PAM_MAIL(8)

NAME
pam_mail - Inform about available mail SYNOPSIS
pam_mail.so [close] [debug] [dir=maildir] [empty] [hash=count] [noenv] [nopen] [quiet] [standard] DESCRIPTION
The pam_mail PAM module provides the "you have new mail" service to the user. It can be plugged into any application that has credential or session hooks. It gives a single message indicating the newness of any mail it finds in the user's mail folder. This module also sets the PAM environment variable, MAIL, to the user's mail directory. If the mail spool file (be it /var/mail/$USER or a pathname given with the dir= parameter) is a directory then pam_mail assumes it is in the Maildir format. OPTIONS
close Indicate if the user has any mail also on logout. debug Print debug information. dir=maildir Look for the users' mail in an alternative location defined by maildir/<login>. The default location for mail is /var/mail/<login>. Note, if the supplied maildir is prefixed by a '~', the directory is interpreted as indicating a file in the user's home directory. empty Also print message if user has no mail. hash=count Mail directory hash depth. For example, a hashcount of 2 would make the mail file be /var/spool/mail/u/s/user. noenv Do not set the MAIL environment variable. nopen Don't print any mail information on login. This flag is useful to get the MAIL environment variable set, but to not display any information about it. quiet Only report when there is new mail. standard Old style "You have..." format which doesn't show the mail spool being used. This also implies "empty". MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The session and auth (on establishment and deletion of credentials) module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Badly formed arguments. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to indicate that the user has new mail when they login to the system. session optional pam_mail.so standard SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_mail was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_MAIL(8)