Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String extraction from a text file Post 302306782 by cleanden on Monday 13th of April 2009 07:25:57 PM
Old 04-13-2009
The point that I guess I failed to make is that postmaster is not a static piece of text - it could be anything, but I know it always precedes @LOCALDOMAIN

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for text extraction from a file

Hi All, I am new to Shell Scripting. I have a file consisting of XML messages.Each message is associated with a timestamp value(it is not a xml field).I need to extract\copy all messages in a particular time interval and put in another new file using Shell Scripting. My XML looks like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extraction of data from a text file which follows certain pattern

hi everybody, i have a file, in it I need to extract some data that follows a particular pattern.. For example: my file contains like now running Speak225 sep 22 mon 16:34:05 2008 -------------------------------- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohkris
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text extraction

Dear All, I am trying to extract text from a file containing cron entries. cat /var/tmp/cron_backups/debmed_tmp < * * * * * /bell > * * * * * /belly what I am trying to do is create two text files containing all entries that begin with < and another text files containing entries with > .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from log file

Hi, Log file will contain text like below: May 7 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673: May 7 14:12:08: %RTT-3-IPSLATHRESHOLD: IP SLA Monitor(112): Threshold below for rtt May 8 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction

I am trying to extract a time from the below string in perl but not able to get the time properly I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karan8810
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies
PG_CTL(1)						  PostgreSQL Server Applications						 PG_CTL(1)

NAME
pg_ctl - start, stop, or restart a PostgreSQL server SYNOPSIS
pg_ctl start [ -w ] [ -s ] [ -D datadir ] [ -l filename ] [ -o options ] [ -p path ] pg_ctl stop [ -W ] [ -s ] [ -D datadir ] [ -m s[mart] | f[ast] | i[mmediate] ] pg_ctl restart [ -w ] [ -s ] [ -D datadir ] [ -m s[mart] | f[ast] | i[mmediate] ] [ -o options ] pg_ctl reload [ -s ] [ -D datadir ] pg_ctl status [ -D datadir ] DESCRIPTION
pg_ctl is a utility for starting, stopping, or restarting postmaster(1), the PostgreSQL backend server, or displaying the status of a run- ning postmaster. Although the postmaster can be started manually, pg_ctl encapsulates tasks such as redirecting log output, properly detaching from the terminal and process group, and it provides convenient options for controlled shutdown. In start mode, a new postmaster is launched. The server is started in the background, the standard input attached to /dev/null. The stan- dard output and standard error are either appended to a log file, if the -l option is used, or are redirected to pg_ctl's standard output (not standard error). If no log file is chosen, the standard output of pg_ctl should be redirected to a file or piped to another process, for example a log rotating program, otherwise the postmaster will write its output the the controlling terminal (from the background) and will not leave the shell's process group. In stop mode, the postmaster that is running in the specified data directory is shut down. Three different shutdown methods can be selected with the -m option: ``Smart'' mode waits for all the clients to disconnect. This is the default. ``Fast'' mode does not wait for clients to disconnect. All active transactions are rolled back and clients are forcibly disconnected, then the database is shut down. ``Immediate'' mode will abort all server processes without clean shutdown. This will lead to a recovery run on restart. restart mode effectively executes a stop followed by a start. This allows the changing of postmaster command line options. reload mode simply sends the postmaster a SIGHUP signal, causing it to reread its configuration files (postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf, etc.). This allows changing of configuration-file options that do not require a complete restart to take effect. status mode checks whether a postmaster is running and if so displays the PID and the command line options that were used to invoke it. OPTIONS
-D datadir Specifies the file system location of the database files. If this is omitted, the environment variable PGDATA is used. -l filename Append the server log output to filename. If the file does not exist, it is created. The umask is set to 077, so access to the log file from other users is disallowed by default. -m mode Specifies the shutdown mode. mode may be smart, fast, or immediate, or the first letter of one of these three. -o options Specifies options to be passed directly to postmaster. The parameters are usually surrounded by single or double quotes to ensure that they are passed through as a group. -p path Specifies the location of the postmaster executable. By default the postmaster is taken from the same directory as pg_ctl, or fail- ing that, the hard-wired installation directory. It is not necessary to use this option unless you are doing something unusual and get errors that the postmaster was not found. -s Only print errors, no informational messages. -w Wait for the start or shutdown to complete. Times out after 60 seconds. This is the default for shutdowns. -W Do not wait for start or shutdown to complete. This is the default for starts and restarts. ENVIRONMENT
PGDATA Default data direction location For others, see postmaster(1). FILES
If the file postmaster.opts.default exists in the data directory, the contents of the file will be passed as options to the postmaster, unless overridden by the -o option. NOTES
Waiting for complete start is not a well-defined operation and may fail if access control is set up so that a local client cannot connect without manual interaction. It should be avoided. EXAMPLES
STARTING THE POSTMASTER To start up a postmaster: $ pg_ctl start An example of starting the postmaster, blocking until the postmaster comes up is: $ pg_ctl -w start For a postmaster using port 5433, and running without fsync, use: $ pg_ctl -o "-F -p 5433" start STOPPING THE POSTMASTER $ pg_ctl stop stops the postmaster. Using the -m switch allows one to control how the backend shuts down. RESTARTING THE POSTMASTER This is almost equivalent to stopping the postmaster and starting it again except that pg_ctl saves and reuses the command line options that were passed to the previously running instance. To restart the postmaster in the simplest form: $ pg_ctl restart To restart postmaster, waiting for it to shut down and to come up: $ pg_ctl -w restart To restart using port 5433 and disabling fsync after restarting: $ pg_ctl -o "-F -p 5433" restart SHOWING POSTMASTER STATUS Here is a sample status output from pg_ctl: $ pg_ctl status pg_ctl: postmaster is running (pid: 13718) Command line was: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster '-D' '/usr/local/pgsql/data' '-p' '5433' '-B' '128' This is the command line that would be invoked in restart mode. SEE ALSO
postmaster(1), PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide Application 2002-11-22 PG_CTL(1)