Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C - Freeing resources
Top Forums Programming C - Freeing resources Post 302306698 by james2432 on Monday 13th of April 2009 02:23:45 PM
Old 04-13-2009
C - Freeing resources

I was wondering what is the function in C to free a resource(usually a variable)

I know in C# there a Garbage collector, but in c and C++ there are none.
I believe in c++ the function is free([resource name here]);

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who is using up all of my resources?!

For some reason, I'm having a bit of a brain fart here and cannot think of a simple solution to this problem... We have a samba server installed on one of our Darwin boxes. Someone is doing massive amounts of work through a samba share, and in turn in pegging samba and the box. I can see how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fender177
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freeing up a serial port with a modem connected

I currently access a remote Unix server which has an external modem connected to one of it's serial ports (/dev/cua/b). At times, this server undergoes a hard reset and for some reason this disallows us from making use of the modem any longer. A hard reset of the modem always seems to fix the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebender1
0 Replies

3. Solaris

CPU resources

Hi, I got a solarsi 10 box with 9 zones and the cpu shares as following ID NAME SHARES 0 global 1 1 FMW1 100 2 FMW2 100 3 OID1 100 4 OID2 100 5 OVD1 100 6 OID0 100 7 FMW5 100 8... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble freeing memory after ctrl+D

Hello, I am trying to free memory allocation after EOF from keyboard is detected (ctrl+D) in a C program. I've written a small program to replicate my problem: int main(int argc, char *argv) { char *line; line = (char*)malloc(sizeof(char)*(512)); line = fgets(line, 512,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oddworld
1 Replies

5. Programming

Trouble freeing memory after ctrl+D

Hello, I am trying to free memory allocation after EOF from keyboard is detected (ctrl+D) in a C program. I've written a small program to replicate my problem: int main(int argc, char *argv) { char *line; line = (char*)malloc(sizeof(char)*(512)); line = fgets(line, 512,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: oddworld
10 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Bootloader Resources

Here is a list of resources for Unix and GNU/Linux bootloaders: GRUB Legacy: The original GRand Unified Bootloader. Now known as GRUB Legacy. GRUB: The latest and greatest. More commonly known as GRUB2. BRUG: Brand-new Universal loadeR from GRUB. Based on GRUB. Adds features like new object... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpmurphy
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Freeing the terminal from busy shell script?

Hi guys, I wrote a basic inotifywait shell script on my CentOS 5.6 x86_64 test server that syncs any deleted files in a directory. /usr/bin/script #!/bin/sh inotifywait -m -e delete /home/user/test | while read file; do # log event here done The script alone works fine. However, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Openserver ver 5.0 freeing up space.

:)Hi all, Please advice me is it safer to use the following command to free up (truncate) space in HDD. 1) > /usr/adm/messages 2) > /usr/adm/sulog 3) > /usr/adm/ctlog 4) > /tmp 5) > /usr/adm/sa 6) > /var/spool Thanks in advance Rukshan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
1 Replies
readahead-collector(8)                                        System Manager's Manual                                       readahead-collector(8)

NAME
readahead-collector - collect list of files used during the boot process SYNOPSIS
readahead-collector [options] DESCRIPTION
readahead-collector is a files list generator for use in readahead(8) based on the files used during the boot process. Note: readahead-collector uses the audit subsystem of the kernel to gather the list of accessed files; for this reason, it is necessary that the kernel is built with the CONFIG_AUDIT and CON- FIG_AUDITSYSCAL options enabled. Stock Debian kernels are built with these options. OPTIONS
-d enable debug mode. -f leave the daemon in the foreground for debugging, output goes to stdout. -h print the usage information. FILES
/etc/readahead.conf SEE ALSO
readahead(8) AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, This manual page was written by Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> August 2009 readahead-collector(8)