Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter Post 302306647 by quirkasaurus on Monday 13th of April 2009 11:50:23 AM
Old 04-13-2009
two answers.

#1) umar slyly added -d' ' to the second cut command in your original post.
This is why his worked. ( i prefer keeping my delimiters snug to the -d ).

#2) awk '{ print $NF }' file_nm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

\r as delimiter in cut

I need to use \r as a delimiter in the -d option of the cut comand . Any help ? Thanks in advance . SD (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Number which appear before a delimiter

Hi All, How can i use the cut option to only output the number of rows, which is 2 is this case ? Pls note that the number of digit before the delimiter ":" is always varying. $ grep -n uuu xxx 2:** xxx yyy gg 44 tt uuu 2007 $ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter

I have more than 1000 files to parse. Each file contains few lines (number of lines varies) followed by a header line having all column's name (SPOT, NAME etc) and then values for those columns. **Example File: sdgafh dfhaadfha sfgaf dhah jkthdj SPOT NAME GENE_NAME CH_MEAN CHDN_MED ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -d with more than 1 delimiter?

I need to cut or otherwise get the 4th and 5th position output of for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done example output is: h;13;1310318701;443;93 I only need ";443;93" from any given run of "for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done" Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut columns with delimiter

HI, I have a file like below "103865","103835","Zming","","Zhu","103965","Sunnyvale","US", "116228","116227","Morlla","","Kowalski","113228","Paese "(Treviso)""IT" I want to validate the 7th column which is below. "Sunnyvale" "Paese In the above 7th column Paese is not ended with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut all string after the last delimiter?

hi all, suppose a string: abc/def/ghi/jkl/mn.txt and i want to get the file name without the path. however, different files have different paths, therefore the number of delimiter is uncertain. thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut delimiter and save

i have list of names in a text file and I wanted to delete the commas en every line. for example: inside the text is a list of names in it with commas after each line. I wanted to delete these commas. which command must I execute for this? unix, dale, shawn, aaron, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut cmd with delimiter as |#|

Hi All- We have a file data as below with delimiter as |#| 10|#|20|#|ABC 13|#|23|#|PBC If I want to cut the 2nd field out of this, below command is not working as multiple pipe is causing an issue , it seems cut -f2 -d"|#|" <file_name> can you please help to provide the correct command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command with pipe as a delimiter while using in a script

There is a text file in my project named as "mom.txt" in which i want to have contents like.................. LSCRM(Application Name): 1: This is my first application. 2: Today we did shell scripting automation for this app. 3: It was really a good fun in doing so. 4: Really good.| (Here i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet Anand
7 Replies
ERROR(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ERROR(8)

NAME
error - Postfix error/retry mail delivery agent SYNOPSIS
error [generic Postfix daemon options] DESCRIPTION
The Postfix error(8) delivery agent processes delivery requests from the queue manager. Each request specifies a queue file, a sender address, the reason for non-delivery (specified as the next-hop destination), and recipient information. The reason may be prefixed with an RFC 3463-compatible detail code; if none is specified a default 4.0.0 or 5.0.0 code is used instead. This program expects to be run from the master(8) process manager. Depending on the service name in master.cf, error or retry, the server bounces or defers all recipients in the delivery request using the "next-hop" information as the reason for non-delivery. The retry service name is supported as of Postfix 2.4. Delivery status reports are sent to the bounce(8), defer(8) or trace(8) daemon as appropriate. SECURITY
The error(8) mailer is not security-sensitive. It does not talk to the network, and can be run chrooted at fixed low privilege. STANDARDS
RFC 3463 (Enhanced Status Codes) DIAGNOSTICS
Problems and transactions are logged to syslogd(8). Depending on the setting of the notify_classes parameter, the postmaster is notified of bounces and of other trouble. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
Changes to main.cf are picked up automatically as error(8) processes run for only a limited amount of time. Use the command "postfix reload" to speed up a change. The text below provides only a parameter summary. See postconf(5) for more details including examples. 2bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster) The recipient of undeliverable mail that cannot be returned to the sender. bounce_notice_recipient (postmaster) The recipient of postmaster notifications with the message headers of mail that Postfix did not deliver and of SMTP conversation transcripts of mail that Postfix did not receive. config_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The default location of the Postfix main.cf and master.cf configuration files. daemon_timeout (18000s) How much time a Postfix daemon process may take to handle a request before it is terminated by a built-in watchdog timer. delay_logging_resolution_limit (2) The maximal number of digits after the decimal point when logging sub-second delay values. double_bounce_sender (double-bounce) The sender address of postmaster notifications that are generated by the mail system. ipc_timeout (3600s) The time limit for sending or receiving information over an internal communication channel. max_idle (100s) The maximum amount of time that an idle Postfix daemon process waits for an incoming connection before terminating voluntarily. max_use (100) The maximal number of incoming connections that a Postfix daemon process will service before terminating voluntarily. notify_classes (resource, software) The list of error classes that are reported to the postmaster. process_id (read-only) The process ID of a Postfix command or daemon process. process_name (read-only) The process name of a Postfix command or daemon process. queue_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The location of the Postfix top-level queue directory. syslog_facility (mail) The syslog facility of Postfix logging. syslog_name (see 'postconf -d' output) The mail system name that is prepended to the process name in syslog records, so that "smtpd" becomes, for example, "postfix/smtpd". SEE ALSO
qmgr(8), queue manager bounce(8), delivery status reports discard(8), Postfix discard delivery agent postconf(5), configuration parameters master(5), generic daemon options master(8), process manager syslogd(8), system logging LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA ERROR(8)