Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sudo apt-get install build-essential not working Post 302306411 by reborg on Sunday 12th of April 2009 05:28:59 PM
Old 04-12-2009
The packages is "build-essential" there is no 's' at the end, the OP had the correct package name.

It is likely that you don't have the correct deb repositories configured in /etc/apt/sources.list or as previously mentioned your catalog is out of date/incomplete.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apt-get update not working

Hi all, Till now i was able to do apt-get update. but today i started to the following error: # apt-get update E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (2 No such file or directory) E: Unable to lock the list directory # Could any one let me know how to solve it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gauri
1 Replies

2. Debian

Safe to uninstall with apt-get install?

Yesterday I incidently called apt-get with an ending "-". I noticed that I got promped if I wanted to remove the file. My question is if it's safe. I've never heard of anyone doing it so I just wanted to know. Syntax: 161659/home/riwa# apt-get install links2- Reading Package Lists... Done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install

When I use apt-get install command, for example samba install, does that command then invokes search of entire disk to find samba packet or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Essential packeages to install VNC from SOLARIS COMPANION CD

Hi all....!!! Can someone tell the essential packages need to install VNC from soalris 10 companion cd...? I think there are three packages are essential. (SFWvnc, SFWgcmn, .....) Please help me.. thank you.. Rgd... Leshan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: leshan
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt-get install error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

apt-get install giving error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message of sudo apt-get

Hi, I am using ubuntu 12.04 and every time I installed new program or do: sudo apt-get install -f I get the following mesage: Download done. sha256sum mismatch jdk-7u3-linux-x64.tar.gz Oracle JDK 7 is NOT installed. dpkg: error processing oracle-java7-installer (--configure): subprocess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstall sudo apt-get?

I am using ubuntu11.10 and i was trying to do the update to 12.04, i found a post suggesting to use to solve part of the problem: sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-keyring sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install ubuntu-keyringI ran the first command but not able to run the second or any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CS_NA
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo apt-get update fail: Malformed line 59

I am trying to update/add a repository. Whenever I try to do a sudo apt-get update I get the message: E: Malformed line 59 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse) E: The list of sources could not be read. and when I do: gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list I see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayak
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install --purge

Hello, i would like to know what is the use of that command apt-get install --purgeI understand the use of --purge while using with remove parameter, but i don't get it when it's about installing. Enlight me please ! Thx ---------- Post updated 09-03-16 at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
0 Replies
APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)

NAME
apt-show-versions - Lists available package versions with distribution DESCRIPTION
apt-show-versions parses the dpkg status file and the APT lists for the installed and available package versions and distribution and shows upgrade options within the specific distribution of the selected package. This is really useful if you have a mixed stable/testing environment and want to list all packages which are from testing and can be upgraded in testing. apt-show-versions uses caching for the status information of installed and available packages. If you run apt-show-versions as root the cache is updated as needed. If you run as non-root uses the newest available information, but can't update the cache. If you run as root with the option -i the cache is initialized or updated only. SYNOPSIS
apt-show-versions [-h] [[-p] package name] [-a] [-b] OPTIONS
If you don't give any options the status of all installed packages is printed. -p package, --package=package Print available and installed versions for specified package. You can also specify a package name without the option -p. If -p and a package name are missing, all installed packages are displayed. -r, --regex interpret package from option -p as a regex. -R, --regex-all like --regex, but also show matching packages which are not installed -u, --upgradeable Print only upgradeable packages -a, --allversions Print all available versions of the selected packages -b, --brief Print only package_name/distribution for upgradeable packages -v, --verbose Prints out messages about which Package files are parsed. -i, --initialize Initialize or update package cache only (as root). Do this every time when the status of the installed or available packages has changed. Initialization is done automatically on installation of the package and via a cron.daily job. -stf file, --status-file=file Use file as the dpkg status file instead of /var/lib/dpkg/status -ld directory, --list-dir=directory Use directory as path to apt's list files instead of /var/state/apt/lists/ or /var/lib/apt/lists/ -h, --help Prints out command-line help. EXIT CODES
0 No error 1 Wrong usage 2 apt-show-versions has been called with exactly one package and upgradeable option set, but package is uptodate. As no output has been requested, this case gets signaled using the exit code. 255 Unspecified error EXAMPLES
If you want to know for all your installed packages whether they are uptodate or upgradeable, use: apt-show-versions If you want to have a list of all upgradeable packages: apt-show-versions -u To get a list of all available versions of libc6: apt-show-versions -a -p libc6 To get information about several packages: apt-show-versions dpkg apt apt-show-versions -r ^texlive To upgrade all packages in testing: apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | fgrep testing` AUTHOR
Christoph Martin, martin@uni-mainz.de SEE ALSO
apt(8), dpkg(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-10-26 APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)