Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bringing a process to the foreground Post 302306329 by glen.barber on Sunday 12th of April 2009 10:54:22 AM
Old 04-12-2009
When you send a job to the background, you'll see the job number, such as:
Code:
[1] 17053

That "[1]" is the job number and 17053 (in this example) is the process ID. To resume it, do the following:
Code:
fg %1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bringing a nohup process to foreground

Hi, I have used nohup command to run a process in background. i ran successfully and i exit from that terminal. But when i login for the next time I am not able to see the process but it is working, since I am getting a e-mail alert for error issue. Please let me know how to bring that process... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbguy
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bringing an Xterm window to top

Hi, Is there a way to configure a Linux machine so that I can click on any where on the Xterm window to bring it to the front/top. By default, I have to click on the title bar but often the entire title bar is underneath another window. Thanks in advance! PS. GNU/Linux (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pidge66
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bringing together words from multiple lines

I want to get a file together that lists router name and IP address of an interface together like so... SOMERTR1A 10.10.10.20 SOMERTR1B 10.10.10.30 OTHRRTR1A 192.168.1.120 The file I'm trying to extract the text from looks like the below: SOMERTR1A#show run int Lo0 | i add ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: branrobi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I convert a foreground process to NOHUP ?

OS : AIX 6.1/Solaris 10 After I started running a shell script, I've realized that it will take another 5 hours to complete. Is there anyway I could convert this foreground process to run in nohup mode so that I can go home peacefully ? I have the process ID $ ps -ef | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect that foreground process is waiting for input?

Hi, I have to create a script (ksh or perl) that starts certain number of parallel jobs (another scripts), each of them runs as a foreground process in a separate session. Plus I start monitoring job that has to determine if any of those scripts is expecting input from operator, and switch to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyh80
4 Replies
Slurm API(3)					    Slurm suspend, resume and requeue functions 				      Slurm API(3)

NAME
slurm_suspend, slurm_resume, slurm_requeue - Slurm suspend, resume and requeue functions SYNTAX
#include <slurm/slurm.h> int slurm_suspend ( uint32_t job_id ); int slurm_resume ( uint32_t job_id ); int slurm_requeue ( uint32_t job_id ); ARGUMENTS
job_id SLURM job ID to perform the operation upon. DESCRIPTION
slurm_suspend Suspend the specified job. slurm_resume Resume execution of a previously suspended job. slurm_requeue Requeue a running or pending SLURM batch job. The job script will be restarted from its beginning, ignoring any previous checkpoint. RETURN VALUE
Zero is returned upon success. On error, -1 is returned, and the Slurm error code is set appropriately. ERRORS
ESLURM_DISABLED the operation is currently disabled (e.g. attempt to suspend a job that is not running, resume a job that is not currently suspended, or requeue a job on which the operation has been disabled). ESLURM_INVALID_JOB_ID the requested job id does not exist. ESLURM_ACCESS_DENIED the requesting user lacks authorization for the requested action (e.g. not user root or SlurmUser). ESLURM_JOB_PENDING the requested job is still pending. ESLURM_ALREADY_DONE the requested job has already completed. ESLURM_NOT_SUPPORTED the requested operation is not supported on this system. NOTE
These functions are included in the libslurm library, which must be linked to your process for use (e.g. "cc -lslurm myprog.c"). COPYING
Copyright (C) 2005-2006 The Regents of the University of California. Produced at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (cf, DISCLAIMER). CODE-OCEC-09-009. All rights reserved. This file is part of SLURM, a resource management program. For details, see <http://www.schedmd.com/slurmdocs/>. SLURM is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. SLURM is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. SEE ALSO
scontrol(1) Morris Jette May 2006 Slurm API(3)