Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IPC with PIPE
Top Forums Programming IPC with PIPE Post 302306249 by thanh_sam_khac on Sunday 12th of April 2009 12:33:29 AM
Old 04-12-2009
anyone, help me..
If you don't understand what I post.. ( my English is not good).. please ask me.. thank you..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ipc

I have a parent that is passing data to child A and then child A has to process it and pass to child B. I am able to pass the data to child A but am not able to pass it to child B. Child B seems to only be receiving the last data instead of the whole data. I saw one example in a book but it uses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scmay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

3. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

4. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

5. Programming

IPC Mechanisms

Hi! I wanted to know the advantages / disadvantages of different IPC mechanims such as sockets, pipes (unnamed) , shared memory & message queues. Pipes for example i hear are fast , but are difficult to debug as compared to sockets. Can you guys please name some situations where one is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _korg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

7. Programming

Best IPC mechanism to be used

Suppose I have 5 independent process divided in two imaginay sets: set1 set2 --------------------- p1 p3 | | p2 p4 | p5 The processes inside each set communicate mutually quite often. I mean p1 and p2 communicate mutually quite often Similarly p3, p4 and p5 communicate mutually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

IPC settings on HP-UX

Hi Experts, Need your help for checking te interprocess communications settings on HP-UX box. Using ipcs command I am able to view Message queue,semapohores etc, but from that output I m not able to understand how to determine if there is any issue with ipc settings and how to resolve that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problems with pipe IPC

I'm currently studying IPC, I have a first program A: Do an exec for B and wait B: Receive through a fifo a string from a third program "C" and have to resend it to A I was thinking to open a pipe in A before the exec, then passing fd to B as an argument if(pipe(fd)==-1){ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cifz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
PIPE(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe -- create descriptor pair for interprocess communication SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates a pipe (an object that allows unidirectional data flow) and allocates a pair of file descriptors. The first descriptor connects to the read end of the pipe; the second connects to the write end. Data written to fildes[1] appears on (i.e., can be read from) fildes[0]. This allows the output of one program to be sent to another pro- gram: the source's standard output is set up to be the write end of the pipe; the sink's standard input is set up to be the read end of the pipe. The pipe itself persists until all of its associated descriptors are closed. A pipe whose read or write end has been closed is considered widowed. Writing on such a pipe causes the writing process to receive a SIGPIPE signal. Widowing a pipe is the only way to deliver end-of-file to a reader: after the reader consumes any buffered data, reading a widowed pipe returns a zero count. The generation of the SIGPIPE signal can be suppressed using the F_SETNOSIGPIPE fcntl command. RETURN VALUES
On successful creation of the pipe, zero is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the variable errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() call will fail if: [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), fcntl(2), write(2) HISTORY
A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution February 17, 2011 4th Berkeley Distribution