Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IPC with PIPE
Top Forums Programming IPC with PIPE Post 302306249 by thanh_sam_khac on Sunday 12th of April 2009 12:33:29 AM
Old 04-12-2009
anyone, help me..
If you don't understand what I post.. ( my English is not good).. please ask me.. thank you..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ipc

I have a parent that is passing data to child A and then child A has to process it and pass to child B. I am able to pass the data to child A but am not able to pass it to child B. Child B seems to only be receiving the last data instead of the whole data. I saw one example in a book but it uses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scmay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

3. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

4. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

5. Programming

IPC Mechanisms

Hi! I wanted to know the advantages / disadvantages of different IPC mechanims such as sockets, pipes (unnamed) , shared memory & message queues. Pipes for example i hear are fast , but are difficult to debug as compared to sockets. Can you guys please name some situations where one is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _korg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

7. Programming

Best IPC mechanism to be used

Suppose I have 5 independent process divided in two imaginay sets: set1 set2 --------------------- p1 p3 | | p2 p4 | p5 The processes inside each set communicate mutually quite often. I mean p1 and p2 communicate mutually quite often Similarly p3, p4 and p5 communicate mutually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

IPC settings on HP-UX

Hi Experts, Need your help for checking te interprocess communications settings on HP-UX box. Using ipcs command I am able to view Message queue,semapohores etc, but from that output I m not able to understand how to determine if there is any issue with ipc settings and how to resolve that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problems with pipe IPC

I'm currently studying IPC, I have a first program A: Do an exec for B and wait B: Receive through a fifo a string from a third program "C" and have to resend it to A I was thinking to open a pipe in A before the exec, then passing fd to B as an argument if(pipe(fd)==-1){ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cifz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
PIPE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe, pipe2 - create pipe SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int pipefd[2]); #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <fcntl.h> /* Obtain O_* constant definitions */ #include <unistd.h> int pipe2(int pipefd[2], int flags); DESCRIPTION
pipe() creates a pipe, a unidirectional data channel that can be used for interprocess communication. The array pipefd is used to return two file descriptors referring to the ends of the pipe. pipefd[0] refers to the read end of the pipe. pipefd[1] refers to the write end of the pipe. Data written to the write end of the pipe is buffered by the kernel until it is read from the read end of the pipe. For fur- ther details, see pipe(7). If flags is 0, then pipe2() is the same as pipe(). The following values can be bitwise ORed in flags to obtain different behavior: O_NONBLOCK Set the O_NONBLOCK file status flag on the two new open file descriptions. Using this flag saves extra calls to fcntl(2) to achieve the same result. O_CLOEXEC Set the close-on-exec (FD_CLOEXEC) flag on the two new file descriptors. See the description of the same flag in open(2) for reasons why this may be useful. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT pipefd is not valid. EINVAL (pipe2()) Invalid value in flags. EMFILE Too many file descriptors are in use by the process. ENFILE The system limit on the total number of open files has been reached. VERSIONS
pipe2() was added to Linux in version 2.6.27; glibc support is available starting with version 2.9. CONFORMING TO
pipe(): POSIX.1-2001. pipe2() is Linux-specific. EXAMPLE
The following program creates a pipe, and then fork(2)s to create a child process; the child inherits a duplicate set of file descriptors that refer to the same pipe. After the fork(2), each process closes the descriptors that it doesn't need for the pipe (see pipe(7)). The parent then writes the string contained in the program's command-line argument to the pipe, and the child reads this string a byte at a time from the pipe and echoes it on standard output. #include <sys/wait.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int pipefd[2]; pid_t cpid; char buf; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <string> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (pipe(pipefd) == -1) { perror("pipe"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } cpid = fork(); if (cpid == -1) { perror("fork"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (cpid == 0) { /* Child reads from pipe */ close(pipefd[1]); /* Close unused write end */ while (read(pipefd[0], &buf, 1) > 0) write(STDOUT_FILENO, &buf, 1); write(STDOUT_FILENO, " ", 1); close(pipefd[0]); _exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } else { /* Parent writes argv[1] to pipe */ close(pipefd[0]); /* Close unused read end */ write(pipefd[1], argv[1], strlen(argv[1])); close(pipefd[1]); /* Reader will see EOF */ wait(NULL); /* Wait for child */ exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } } SEE ALSO
fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2), popen(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-02-14 PIPE(2)