Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Software Update reporting script Post 302306242 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Saturday 11th of April 2009 08:56:30 PM
Old 04-11-2009
I'm not seeing the -l option in man softwareupdate, but it ran without complaining in my one test (on a machine that needed no updates).

You should be able to grep the lines relating to software updates, then pipe to "wc -l"

Store that in a variable, then write the host name and update count to a file, presumable with an easily parsible delimiter (like "=" for instance).

Push the file to a central mutually accessible location, then cat the files.
From there you can create your report.

The important part is determining the unique character/s you want to grep for on the hosts, before writing the host specific reports. It's pretty easy to determine from the "man" output, and running the command on a few machines that actually need updates.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

update package/software questions

Hi, In SUSE linux, it looks like that I can update the package using YAST or install the package from source. So, which way works better? Also, if i install the package of new version. Do i need to remove/delete the old version package, or I just need to change my environments and keep the old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
0 Replies

2. Fedora

Newby: How to actually update software?!

Hi All - 1) I work with bigdate for a living, use lots of neat software, SAS, SQL Server, etc. I know how to get my data and such, analyze it, etc... 2) I use UNIX at work (Solaris mostly) and can easily navigate around Unix and get the job done, vi and sas -nodms are about my fav, and some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)