Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing line to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing line to a file Post 302306104 by dateez on Saturday 11th of April 2009 03:37:45 AM
Old 04-11-2009
Question Writing line to a file

Hi,

I'm reading and writing a line from one file to another.

Input line is like this:

My name is David. Working on a shell script now.

When I use "echo" or "print" output comes like this,

My name is David. Working on a shell script now.

Sample Code:

while read LINE
do
echo $LINE > $outfile1
print $LINE > $outfile2
done < $inputfile

I need to write the line as it is, without any modification, even with the spaces.

Is there any other way to accomplish this? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting filename as command line param and writing to it

Hi, Is it possible to accept a filename as command line parameter and then write to that file using command redirection? i tried the below script. outputfile=`echo $1` echo "Writing to file" > 'echo $outputfile' exit $returncode but it isnt working. is there any other way to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: silas.john
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing into one line

hi i have a file contains data Line timeout: START->SIGNON_REPLY, SIGNON_REPLY->SIGNON, Received SOT req SOT request: SIGNON->SOT_REPLY, SOT_REPLY->DATA_RECEIVE, DATA_RECEIVE->EOD, i need to write into one line , separated by commas please help thanks Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing data in a text file at particular line

I need to write value of variable $version at a particular line in a text file. Line number is determined by another variable &line......I don't know how to do it in shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell script to find line of invalid characters

Hi, I have to write s script to check an input file for invalid characters. In this script I have to find the exact line of the invalid character. If the input file contain 2 invalid character sat line 10 and 17, the script will show the value 10 and 17. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner82
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing string to specific line

I want to put a text string in file using any method on specific line line number 30 text to be put %this is location /var/www/filename (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving newlines when writing loops on the command line in bash

Dear All, I have a question that's been difficult to get an answer to. I often write command line loops, e.g. find files, print name, grep for term, apply sed, etc I use both zsh and bash. When I write a loop e.g. for line in `more myfile.txt` > do > echo $line > done but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnK1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing in a file's particular column number of every line during runtime

Given a particular line number and a corresponding column number, can i write something in the file during run time? For example x=1 and during runtime i want to write the value of x in column 100 of every line of a given file, then how shud that be done? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script that will take the first line from each file and store it in an output file

Hi, I have 1000 files names data1.txt through data1000.txt inside a folder. I want to write a script that will take each first line from the files and write them as output into a new file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a dummy line!!

Hi, I have a file whihc looks like file_1 100 200 file_2 200 300 file_4 400 500 as the file_3 is missing so I want to replace it by file_3 0 0 the final output would look like file_1 100 200 file_2 200 300 file_3 0 0 file_4 400 500 Any help is highly appreciated. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_2013
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python DictWriter header - not writing in first line of existing file

Hello I am facing a very unique problem and not able to understand why. I have written a function which will check header of the file. If header is present good else it will write the header on top def writeHeaderOutputCSV(fileName): # See if the file exist already try: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
0 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.14.2 2011-01-24 CGI::Pretty(3pm)