Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting specific characters from a text file Post 302305971 by quirkasaurus on Friday 10th of April 2009 10:25:35 AM
Old 04-10-2009
Code:
sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' e.html

remove everything between < and > that's not a >.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting few characters from a file

i want to extract few characters from a file based on a special character like || how to do it suggestions please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific text from a file

Dear All, I have to extract a a few lines from a log file and I know the starting String and end string(WHich is same ). Is there any simplere way using sed - awk. e.g. from the following file -------------------------------------- Some text Date: 21 Oct 2008 Text to be extracted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkav
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text out of specific lines

Hi, I have a file like LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:19 THU S5830 FAULT MESSAGE SUPPRESS STATUS LOC : ASP00 STS : SUPPRESSING CONTINUE INF : F6201 TRUNK. DATA FAULT REPORT COMPLETED LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:20 THU S8400 ISUP SIGNALLING TRACE -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific text from lines

Hello, i've got this output text: and i need it to look something like this: which means that there won't be absolute path of each directory, just it's size and the last word after last '/' in each line, and i also don't need last line '1.7M /tmp' Looks like there is a simple... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krater559
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating and Extracting Specific Patterns from a file

Hi all, 1. I have a file that is getting continously refreshed (appended) I want to grep all the strings containing substring of the type abcdf123@aaa.xxx.yyy.zzz:portnumber: where, before @, any letters or numbers combination, after @, IP address then symbol : then port... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoras
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)