Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to display a tab character in variable Post 302305967 by vgersh99 on Friday 10th of April 2009 10:14:42 AM
Old 04-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlf
Thanks very much, I didn't think to try that.

Anyone know how to keep the cursor on the line in the here statement?
please elaborate - this is too vague.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display only last character of a string?

hi all, if i do an: "echo $string |" what should be after the pipe to display ONLY the last char of the output? tia, DN2 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newline character, space and tab after a string

no problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why convert 8 space to 1 tab character on unix?

Hi everybody, I'm using Hp unix tru64. I have generate one file from shell script. bus that file content pre "8 space char" convert one tab character. why? result file hex format: hex 20 20 20 20 20 to 09 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display of string with TAB in it

Hi, I am having trouble using the result of the following awk command in a script, as displaying the contents of the placeholder automatically replaces the new created TAB by a space character again: From the prompt: cscyabl@comet:(develop)> echo "01 12" | awk '{gsub(" ","\t");print}' 01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display last 8 character of filename

I would like to display the last 8 characters of the filenames for filenames of different lengths. I can delete the last 8 characters with sed but dont know how to only show the last 8 characters. The filenames are something like; afxH340800340000 afxH30800340021 afxR3080034002122 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beanz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove tab character from file

I am trying to remove the tab character from a file, which occurs on two places in every line. So far I have tried the following and most are from threads in this forum: sed -i '' -e 's/ / /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*/ /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/\t*/ /g' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*//g'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing literal tab character from zsh to other program

I have a Zsh script which invokes another program. One of the paramters to be passed, should be a literal tab, i.e what in common programming languages is often written as "\t". If it were bash, I think I could use the special form $"\t" but this doesn't seem to work (the called program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rovf
5 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)