Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove recursilvely from a directory Post 302305695 by rwuerth on Thursday 9th of April 2009 01:53:33 PM
Old 04-09-2009
Put this in the for statement replacing the 'mv' statement.

Code:
if (( $(wc -l newfile) < $(wc -l $files) ))
then
 mv newfile $files
fi

If blank lines were removed from $files, then newfiles should have a smaller line count, since blank lines still count as lines. Then your time stamp changes only if blanks were removed. If the file was copies over in full, then newfile wont be less than $files and the 'mv' wont happen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smitty, remove user, remove directory as well..

hi, i am on aix. i used smitty to remove a user.. but then found that its directory still exists.... so i have to remove the directory manually... am i doing it the right way? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Can't remove a directory

Hello, somehow a directory called -r was created on one of my servers and I can't remove is using either rm or rmdir. Is there a way to remove this directory? Thank you. -David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
2 Replies

3. Programming

Recursive remove directory.

What is the best way to completely remove dir with it's content ??? rmdir deletes only EMPTY dirs as i know. The man page of remove function says "remove() deletes a name from the file system." Can it remove any dir recursively ??? :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove empty directory

Hi, I need to delete an empty directory in a temp directory except "dir5" (keep everything that is not empty). Plese advise. Here is an example of my directory. /dir/temp/ dir1 - delete if this is empty dir2 - delete if this is empty dir3 - delete if this is empty dir4 - delete if this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove contents of directory, but not directory

What's the best way to delete everything in a directory, but not the directory itself, without using shell wildcards? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdc
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove directory with exceptions

Hi, I want to remove a directory recursively except the inside directories calles .SYNC (designsync dirs) I am looking for something like: \rm -rf < find . * | grep -v .SYNC The find works ok but I do not know how to redirect it. Please help. Regards, Ziv:rolleyes: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove directory with exceptions

Hi, I want to remove a directory recursively except the inside directories calles .SYNC (designsync dirs) I am looking for something like: \rm -rf < find . * | grep -v .SYNC The find works ok but I do not know how to redirect it. Please help. Regards, Ziv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Directory

By Mistake i created a directory named "-lrt" in one of my working directories and now i am not able to delete it , please suggest hw to delete this directory now ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Directory can't remove!

Hello my friends, I have a directory called log_old when I try to delete it, it tells me no such file or directory. Then I tried to run this command: ls -lb It tells me the directory name, it is: log_old1\177 !! I tried to remove it using inode, using this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove directory of a particular user?

How to remove directory of a particular user (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
1 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)