Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with backup script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with backup script Post 302305536 by choogendyk on Thursday 9th of April 2009 07:33:26 AM
Old 04-09-2009
First, you've hijacked a thread rather than starting your own. Second, you haven't provided enough information for anyone to help.

It's possible that it's related to environment. The cron environment is not the same as a user profile when you are logged in. However, that's just a shot in the dark. Tell us what your script is, what you are trying to back up, what your system is and the remote system (presuming from scp) and tape drive. Provide enough detail and explanation and someone should be able to help. Or you might answer it yourself. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup problem

Hi all what may be the cause when i try to restore the backup (TAR) It's giving error tar block size =1 directory checksum error please suggest as soon as possible try n learn praful (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I am running my solstice backup 5.5.1 server on a solaris 2.6 platform. I have a remote client ; my mailserver also running solaris 2.6. I created a unique pool and group for my mailserver, but when i label to pool, mount and run backup, it doesnt backup my mailserver, rather it gives me error... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I tried backing up my mailserver on my nsrhost using solstice backup 5.5.1 software. After creating the usual custom settings, and starting the backup procedure using the group control button, backup initializes but the group backup becomes suspended. When i click on the details radio button in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 10.2 Backup Problem

We have an older HP Unix 10.20 system that we rarely ever use anymore. Most of our jobs on it are from 1994 to 2002. Anything after that is on Windows XP. The Unix system was backed up religiously every day. Because of space constraints some of the jobs were removed from the system after a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozzybear
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tar in a backup script

I had an idea of very-very easy bacup script that packs ALL of the files in current dir (including the subfulders and with spaces in name), packs them with tar+gz and moves to a directory. I'm using Cywin under WinXP. But I have a problem with tar. When I do in a single line "tar -rf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TennageWerewolf
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

problem in backup

Hi I am using Ubuntu back up program to the back up automatic. Problem is that recently the app start to fail. I get the following message: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1359, in <module> with_tempdir(main) File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1342,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
MT(1)								     GNU CPIO								     MT(1)

NAME
mt - control magnetic tape drive operation SYNOPSIS
mt [-V] [-f device] [--file=device] [--rsh-command=command] [--version] operation [count] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of mt. mt performs the given operation, which must be one of the tape operations listed below, on a tape drive. The default tape device to operate on is taken from the file /usr/include/sys/mtio.h when mt is compiled. It can be overridden by giving a device file name in the environment variable TAPE or by a command line option (see below), which also overrides the environment variable. The device must be either a character special file or a remote tape drive. To use a tape drive on another machine as the archive, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). The available operations are listed below. Unique abbreviations are accepted. Not all operations are available on all systems, or work on all types of tape drives. Some operations optionally take a repeat count, which can be given after the operation name and defaults to 1. eof, weof Write count EOF marks at current position. fsf Forward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. bsf Backward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. fsr Forward space count records. bsr Backward space count records. bsfm Backward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. fsfm Forward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. asf Absolute space to file number count. Equivalent to rewind followed by fsf count. seek Seek to block number count. eom Space to the end of the recorded media on the tape (for appending files onto tapes). rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind the tape and, if applicable, unload the tape. status Print status information about the tape unit. retension Rewind the tape, then wind it to the end of the reel, then rewind it again. erase Perform long erase of tape. If count is 0, perform short erase of tape (some devices do not support this). mt exits with a status of 0 if the operation succeeded, 1 if the operation or device name given was invalid, or 2 if the operation failed. OPTIONS -f, --file=device Use device as the file name of the tape drive to operate on. To use a tape drive on another machine, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). --rsh-command=command Notifies mt that it should use command to communicate with remote devices instead of /usr/bin/ssh or /usr/bin/rsh. -V, --version Print the version number of mt. BUG REPORTS
Report bugs to <bug-cpio@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. MT
January 28, 2014 MT(1)