Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Save Excel file as .txt in UNIX format Post 302305332 by orahi001 on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 02:46:09 PM
Old 04-08-2009
In excel you can save them as .csv and move them over to your unix environment and they will be readble in Unix. You may have to 'dos2unix' to get rid of any ^M characters. Then if you need to rename them as txt in unix you can

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format excel sheets in UNIX??

Hi, I have generated an excel sheet using a shell script. i have converted the output text file to an excel and got the desired output. However, in a particular column in the excel the values of the numbers start with 0. e.g. 078393343, 00342442, etc. But, in the resulting excel I get as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues in the Format in excel file generated from unix machine

Hi, I have generated a report that contains many columns and since I need ir in excel format.. I just renamed te file to excel as follows: cp vijay.txt vijay.xls I have just attached this spreadsheet in the mail and I am getting it to my mail id. But, in the output excel, the columns that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining the Unix CSV format in Excel format while exporting

Hi All, I have created a Unix Shell script whch creates a *.csv file and export it to Excel. The problem i am facing is that Users wants one of the AMOUNT field in comma separted values. Example : if the Amount has the value as 3000000 User wants to be in 3,000,000 format. This Amount format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawat_me01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and save it as .txt file with some name..

Hello, I have a note pad at /usr/abc location with the following content, since it is a huge file i need to split it into multiple .txt files. A123|akdhj |21kjsdff |b212b1b21 |0 A123asdasd |assdd |asdasdsdqw|6 A123|QEWQ |NMTGHJK |zxczxczx|3 A123|GEGBGH |RTYBN ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the input from user and save it as .txt file

Hi friends, I am pretty new to shell scripting, please help me in this Scenario. for example, If I have one file called input.txt once I run the script, 1.It has to delete the old input.txt and create the new input.txt (if old input.txt is not there, no offence, just it has to create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to format one txt file to required format

Hello Everyone, I have one source file which is genarated by SAP in different format(Which I've never seen). I need to convert that file to required format and I need to read this target file from Datastage to use this in my Jobs. So I do not have any other options except to use Unix script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathyu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format txt file in UNIX

Hello All, I have File_all.txt which have content as below Volume in drive E is Data Volume Serial Number is 586D-6932 Directory of E:\mydi2\siudfor\TFG058 03/27/2014 09:59 PM 5,569 FX\FX01 my4_pg4_MON_20140327_C.zip 1 File(s) 5,569 bytes ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar30213
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate Excel file or to SQL output data to Excel format/tabular format

Hi , i am generating some data by firing sql query with connecting to the database by my solaris box. The below one should be the header line of my excel ,here its coming in separate row. TO_CHAR(C. CURR_EMP_NO ---------- --------------- LST_NM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani1234
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy txt file into excel vbscript

Hi everybody, I am working on Windows 10 and using cygwin. I have a vbscript as follows: Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set wb1 = objExcel.Workbooks.open("\\files\share\path\file1.xlsx") wb1.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:CR89").Clear Set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: supernono06
0 Replies
dos2unix(1)							   User Commands						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - convert text file from DOS format to ISO format SYNOPSIS
dos2unix [-ascii] [-iso] [-7] [-437 | -850 | -860 | -863 | -865] originalfile convertedfile DESCRIPTION
The dos2unix utility converts characters in the DOS extended character set to the corresponding ISO standard characters. This command can be invoked from either DOS or SunOS. However, the filenames must conform to the conventions of the environment in which the command is invoked. If the original file and the converted file are the same, dos2unix will rewrite the original file after converting it. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -ascii Removes extra carriage returns and converts end of file characters in DOS format text files to conform to SunOS require- ments. -iso This is the default. It converts characters in the DOS extended character set to the corresponding ISO standard charac- ters. -7 Converts 8 bit DOS graphics characters to 7 bit space characters so that SunOS can read the file. On non-i386 systems, dos2unix will attempt to obtain the keyboard type to determine which code page to use. Otherwise, the default is US. The user may override the code page with one of the following options: -437 Use US code page -850 Use multilingual code page -860 Use Portuguese code page -863 Use French Canadian code page -865 Use Danish code page OPERANDS
The following operands are required: originalfile The original file in DOS format that is being converted to ISO format. convertedfile The new file in ISO format that has been converted from the original DOS file format. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1), ls(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
File filename not found, or no read permission The input file you specified does not exist, or you do not have read permission. Check with the SunOS command, ls -l (see ls(1)). Bad output filename filename, or no write permission The output file you specified is either invalid, or you do not have write permission for that file or the directory that contains it. Check also that the drive or diskette is not write-protected. Error while writing to temporary file An error occurred while converting your file, possibly because there is not enough space on the current drive. Check the amount of space on the current drive using the DIR command. Also be certain that the default diskette or drive is write-enabled (not write-pro- tected). Notice that when this error occurs, the original file remains intact. Translated temporary file name = filename. Could not rename temporary file to filename. The program could not perform the final step in converting your file. Your converted file is stored under the name indicated on the second line of this message. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 2000 dos2unix(1)