Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable value inconsistency on BASH and CSH Post 302305144 by pavanlimo on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 04:58:11 AM
Old 04-08-2009
CPU & Memory Variable value inconsistency on BASH and CSH

May God never give you the bane of working on Solaris.
Now, I am trying to run this simple shell script:

Code:
 #!/bin/sh

input="a
    b
    c"
    data="123"

while read eachline
    do      
       data="$data$eachline"
    done <<  EOF
    $(echo "$input")
    EOF

echo "$data"
    exit 0

On RHEL(BASH) I receive output as expected i.e "123abc", however, on Solaris I receive just "123".

After fair bit of googling, I realized that Solaris is forking a process for code inside the while loop and hence the variable's($data) value is not reflected on the outside of while loop.

Any hope to make this code compatible on both platforms would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

From bash to csh and zsh

... Am I glad to find this forum (and vBulletin too, nice!).. OK, here's my issue. I have been handballed a bash script, not pretty but functional. I need to change to csh and zsh. For the csh I have the basics (e.g., such as change if/fi to if/endif, quote the variables, and bracket commands).... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lev_lafayette
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

different shell csh bash

I'm always having to work in the cshell, but occasionally want to run a command using bash. is that possible? I know I could write a shell script and call bash at the begining with #!/usr/bin/bash and then my command, is there another way? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash one liner to CSH

Hello all, I have a Bash command I'm using on one system that replaces text in filenames, I'ts not working on another system that uses the Csh shell. Can anyone tell me what I need to do when i run for f in *;do mv $f ${f/text1/text2};done on the CSH shell i get ""Missing }."" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike171562
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running CSh scripts in Bash

Hi, I have some csh scripts and I want to run them in .bashrc. I use these techniques without any success: . test.csh or csh test.csh The first one assumed that the scripts is a bash script, so showed me errors. The second one finished without giving proper result. Can anybody offer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Importing env from csh to bash

Hi All, In my account with csh shell, there are lots of env variables set and I want to import those all to bash in one stroke, is there any way to do it ? Thanks, D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deei
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to convert csh to bash

Hi, Can anyone give me a script to convert csh to bash? or any key points which can help me to do so as i am new to it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineet.dhingra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access the bash variables in csh

Hi, I am having a primary script which is Bash based. I am calling a csh script from it. Now, their are some variables defined in my bash script which i need in csh. I am unable to do so. Is it possible ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi, i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Avinash Nayak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing script from csh to bash

Hello Guys I have a script working fine on csh, but I would like to change it to bash, how I should change this command to be able to work as bash script. :wall: if ( $fsw > "0" ) then foreach swath ( `awk 'BEGIN {for (i='$fsw';i<='$lsw';i++) printf ("%s\n", i) }'` ) ## work to be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)