Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert line into file using variable Post 302305063 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 11:45:17 PM
Old 04-08-2009
do you mean like this???
Code:
sed '/line5/{
n
/line3/d
a\
new line inserted
}' filename

line1
line2
line3
line4
line5
line2
new line inserted
line3
line3
line4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a line as the first line into a very huge file

Hello, I need to insert a line (like a header) as the first line of a very huge file (about 3 ml rows). I am able to do it with sed, but redirecting the output and creating a new file takes quite some time. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing it? Any help would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a variable in the last column of a file

i want to insert a variable in the last column of a file, the columns are separated by "|". I want to insert the variable in everyline of the file . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshr85
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text into file depending on variable

Hey guys , i have a variable with the contents ... NUMBER=4 and a test file with the contents 1248 1213 1214 1278 1200 3045 3444 2130 I want to execute a script that will produce the following output ( based on NUMBER=4) to be ... create 1248 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theshams
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to insert variable file into another, bit like C's #include

Hi, I want to insert one file into another like this: file 1: 1 2 3 <!-- #include file="file2" --> 4 5 <!-- #include file="file3" --> 6 with the complete output going to another file. Have seen some solutions to similar problems using sed, but this problem is different because it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvq
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file

Hi, I need to insert a new line containing the string "QUERY" above every 5 lines. The below piece of code inserts a new line after every 5th line awk '{print $0} !(NR%5) {print "QUERY"}' sed 'n;n;n;n;G;' --> I do not know how to give "QUERY" string here But I need to insert it before... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value of env variable in xml file

Hello, I have the following variables set in my env echo $MY_XSD_FILE /home/jak/sample.xsd echo $MY_INTERVAL_VALUE 4 I want to insert them between the xml tags in my xml file cat sample.xml ::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::: <property name="FILE"></property> :::::::::::::::::::::::... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash: Insert in a variable a file

hi all i have a problem in the bash shell. i'd like insert in a variable a file for example : i have a file datafine.log in this file there is : 17/JUN/2019 i want to insert the value of datafine.log in a variable. Regards Frncesco edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
2 Replies
curs_deleteln(3X)														 curs_deleteln(3X)

NAME
deleteln, wdeleteln, insdelln, winsdelln, insertln, winsertln - delete and insert lines in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int deleteln(void); int wdeleteln(WINDOW *win); int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The deleteln and wdeleteln routines delete the line under the cursor in the window; all lines below the current line are moved up one line. The bottom line of the window is cleared. The cursor position does not change. The insdelln and winsdelln routines, for positive n, insert n lines into the specified window above the current line. The n bottom lines are lost. For negative n, delete n lines (starting with the one under the cursor), and move the remaining lines up. The bottom n lines are cleared. The current cursor position remains the same. The insertln and winsertln routines insert a blank line above the current line and the bottom line is lost. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful comple- tion. X/Open defines no error conditions. In this implementation, if the window parameter is null, an error is returned. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The standard specifies that they return ERR on failure, but specifies no error conditions. NOTES
Note that all but winsdelln may be macros. These routines do not require a hardware line delete or insert feature in the terminal. In fact, they will not use hardware line delete/insert unless idlok(..., TRUE) has been set on the current window. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) curs_deleteln(3X)