Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find & Copy Selected files to another Directory Post 302305035 by hellfyre on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 09:01:56 PM
Old 04-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldapswandog
Use the find command.
Example: find files, not directories, that were last changed more than 2 days ago.
Code:
find . -type f -mtime +2 -exec cp {} /destination/directory \;

Thanks but when I tried this command I received

"An expression term lacks a required parameter"

I ran the command from within the directory that I am wanting to copy the files from.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files and copy into a directory

hi all, can u please help me in finding all ksh file in directory and including all subdirectories and then copy those files into another directory. thanks in advance -bali (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and copy the files creted in the year 2006 to another directory

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. I will be thankful if some one helps me. I have to write a shell script for one of the requirement. I have files created from Jan 2006 to March 2008. My requirement is to write a script in such a way that 1) To find and copy(not Moving) the files created in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & copy files with absolute path

hi all, can i get script find file & copy that file with path for an example sourse : /home/abc/ destination : /home/backup/ files which need to find : tmp* copy these files with its absolute path inside like :- /home/abc/x/y/z/tmp.txt to /home/backup/date/x/y/z/tmp.txt thanks in... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find and copy files from one directory to another

Ok i have three directories Destination - /u/dir1 (has subdirectories dir2 which also has subdirectory dir3) Source1 - /u/test/files/dir1/dir2/dir3 Source2 - /u/out/images/dir1/dir2/dir3 What i would like to do is copy everything from Source1 and Source2 into the Destination directory.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to find & copy words from Web.

I need to write a perl script to search for a specific set of numbers that occur after a series of words but before another. Specifically, I need to locate the phrase today at the summit, then immediately prior to the words tonnes/day copy the number that will be between 100 and 9,999, for example,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find and email selected files

I am trying to come up with a script that will search for selected files and then email them to me. For example, say I have a directory that has the following files: AA_doug.txt AA_andy.txt BB_john.txt APPLE_mike.txt GLOBE_ed.txt GLOBE_tony.txt TOTAL_carl.txt what is the best way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and copy these files to particular directory

RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.4 I have some files with the extension .cdp in several directories in various mountpoints(filesystems) . I would like to find and copy all these files into a single directory /u03/diagnore/data. How can I do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory

Hi, I want a simple line of code that will compress files within a directory specified (parameter) and its subdirectories and also i want to remove files which are exactly 365 days old from the sysdate after this compression. Please help. Thanks, JD (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
8 Replies
FINDRULE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FINDRULE(1p)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.12.4 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1p)