Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sh] While loop -> Expression recursion level exceeded Post 302305019 by machinogodzilla on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 07:06:03 PM
Old 04-07-2009
The shell was tcsh but I used bash to run my scripts. With this syntax everything works perfectly. I tried to use the double parenthesis probably because they worked fine for other control statements... On a side, the code from my first post was also saying 'hello' twice Smilie

Thank you for the fix! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Openserver 5.0.7 NSTRPAGES Exceeded

Hello guys i'm getting this error on a sco 5.0.7 machine and i have no idea why i'm getting this error. I know how to encrease the value of NSTRPAGES, right now i have it up to 4000. I would like to know what is NSTRPAGES and what is causing this error to come up in my server. Thanks a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Count Exceeded Error on HP-UNIX

Sirs/Madame, On my HP-Unix, I came across an error GRECV-count exceeded and as a result of this, systems got hanged and server came down. Graceful shutdown too was not allowed. Kindly, Can anybody help me out in killing this issue Bhavani.R (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavani2006
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile Size exceeded ????

Hi, How to write a script which checks the size of a log file? I want that the log file contents to get cleared as soon as it increases 1 KB. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk quota exceeded......

I keep on getting an error on my site saying I've got a 250GB dedicated server, and have used less than 200mb of that. The site has only been on the server for just over a month. What does this mean and how can I sort it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Top level TCSH while Loop doen't work

Hey guys... I'm learning some shell scripting on OS X using the tcsh shell. For some reason... my while loop isn't executing right (or more likely I am doing something wrong.) Something as simple as this doesn't work: #!/bin/tcsh set g = 0 while ($g <10) echo "this" $g @ g =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprynmr
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expression recursion level question

Hi. I am receiving this error message for the highlighted line (let "total=$total+$sales"). line 11: let: total+sales:expression recursion level exceeded (error token is "total+sales") counter=0 sales=0 total=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales total=total+sales while test $sales ; do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regular expression in for loop

Hi, i want to use regular expression in a for loop like this. for var in "/Mar/2010" do echo "Usage for the date $var" -----and want to grep $var partten from a file-------- done and it is not working. I am new to shell scripting, any one has any idea how to do it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarakant
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable as a for loop expression

I'm writing a script to merge the xkcd webcomic tiles for comic 1110. So far, I have written about 100 lines, and instead of doing each quadrant of the image separately, I've decided to use functions to do this, repeating for every quadrant and using variables for each quadrant to make the function... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbondhus
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

SSL certificate generation on OS level or application level

We have a RHEL 5.8 server at the production level and we have a Java application on this server. I know of the SSL certificate generation at the OS (RHEL) level but it is implemented on the Java application by our development team using the Java keytool. My doubt is that is the SSL generation can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)