Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing a part of a string
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing a part of a string Post 302304961 by pinnacle on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 04:19:25 PM
Old 04-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuresh1999
Hi
Thank you very much for your fast reply . It is working in most of the cases but not working only in the case as i have mentioned below
Can you please help

alias NAME = ..
alias HOME = ${HOME}/bdir
alias BASE = ${HOME}/runddir
alias SEND = ${TRES}/jundir/finddir

Thanks
Suresh
Code:
nawk -F'\=' '{print $1}' zenith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting part of string

Hi, I wanted to cut a specific portion from given string. How would I do that? Example: /u09/core/inbound/abc.txt is my string. I want abc.txt in a variable. Please help me. Regards, Dhaval (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhaval_khamar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting part of a string

Hi, I have a string assinged to a varaible as below. FILE=/var/adm/message If $FILE is the value where it stores the path of message file. I would like to extract the location of the file message as below LOCATION=/var/adm FILE may have value like /var/adm/xxxx/message ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete part of string

This command: du -s /Applications/TextMate.app Returns an output like this: 65792 /Applications/TextMate.app I need to delete the space and the file path in the output leaving just the number. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Part of a string

Hi mates, I am doing a script in ksh. I have the following string: /opt/one/two/four/five/myFile.txt And I have a variable: echo "${variable}" -> /opt/one/two/ I would like to have just the string: four/five/myFile.txt What is the better way to do that? Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzaloron
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to take one part from a string

I have a string something like "/opt/src/default.cfg" OR /opt/src/common/one This whole string stored in an array. The problem is this string is not constant and it will keep on changing as lot of strings are stored in the array and it will be look like :- case 1 /opt/src/default.cfg ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print part of string

I have a file called file.txt It contains strings: ALT=someone@acme.com TO=whoever@lalalulu.com How could find and print the actual address after the = sign for any given instance? I need the command to print one of them - for example someone@acme.com But have in mind that this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help printing string

Hi, I have a file containing many times the word "IPaddress". and i need a command that finds that string or word and print it only once. I've tried the following but they print a line for each match: grep "IPaddress" /directory/file.xml find . | xargs grep 'IPaddress' -sl i have many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
2 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)