Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How does $(<file) work?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How does $(<file) work? Post 302304804 by hongwei on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 10:25:16 AM
Old 04-07-2009
How does $(<file) work?

If you enter " < myfile " on shell prompt directly, nothing to output. But for ' $(< myfile) ' , the contents of myfile replace $(< myfile). That has the same effect as ' $(cat myfile) '. I never seen such usage before and dont know how $(< myfile) work. Anyone can give some explanation?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do unix file lenghts work?

Hello, Can someone tell me how unix works out file lenghts please? If I'm ftp'ing a file from a mvs mainframe to a unix box will the file be replicated line by line? I'm looking at the file on the unix box and it's telling me the recl is almost 4000 but it's not that on the mvs side. Should a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to work in a file

I have a file like this: 00510010 0000000471 000000000482.90 000000005855.49 00510015 0000000471 000000002280.81 000000003093.79 00510020 0000000471 000000023640.82 000000022857.28 00510021 0000000471 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

5. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
chown(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  chown(8)

Name
       chown - change owner and, optionally, group

Syntax
       /etc/chown [ -fR ] owner[.group] file...

Description
       The  command  changes  the owner and, optionally, group for one or more files and directories.  The value for file can be a full or partial
       path.  The value for owner can be either a decimal UID or a login name found in the password file.  The value for group	can  be  either  a
       decimal GID or a group name found in the group file.

Only  the  superuser  can change the ownership of a file.  The superuser can also change the group of a file.  The owner of a file can only
       change the group, but the owner must be a member of any group specified.

Options
       -f   Inhibits display of errors that are returned when cannot change the owner or group of the specified files.

-R   Causes to recursively descend any directories subordinate to file and to set the owner, group, or  both  for  each	file  encountered.
	    When  symbolic  links  are encountered, changes the owner and group for the link file itself but does not traverse the path associated
	    with the link.  The option is useful only when file is a directory that is not empty.

Examples
       Change the owner of to ecbell:
       /etc/chown ecbell myfile

Change the owner of to craig and group of to admin:
       /etc/chown craig.admin myfile

Change the owner to richart and group to eng for the directories and and for all files and directories on any levels subordinate to and
       /etc/chown -R richart.eng projecta projectb

Files
       See Also
	      chgrp(1), chown(2), group(5), group(5yp), passwd(5), passwd(5yp)

chown(8)