Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password. Post 302304638 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 01:54:08 AM
Old 04-07-2009
is this host member in a nis or ldap domain?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to change root password on HP UX

Hello, I try to make a change on the root password on HP UX. I use sam but it didn't work here. I try to login as root but I failed however, I login to my name and then change to su and su password then it is o.k There is not much different from root and su but how do we use root? Thanks so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle06
4 Replies

2. Solaris

change root password

Hi, please advise me what is the simplest way to change root password on Sun Sparc 64 bit with Solaris 9 on it. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change root password?

Hello! I forget the root password and I need to change it. I've read others threads about it in this forum, but it seems it's necessary to modify /etc/passwd file. In my HPUX Systems this passwd file have only "read" permissions ant its owner is the root user, so how can i modify this file, if I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to change ROOT password.

Hi, we have a HP-UX server of model 9000/800/rp4440. We have been trying to reset the root password but are in vain.I used the following command and also are the outputs which i have received. # passwd Changing password for root New password: Re-enter new password: Unexpected failure.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelofhell
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Root Password change

Hi All, I would like to find out when the root password changed last time..! :p Please guys help me Out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't change root password in solaris express 11

How do I change root password in SolarisExpress 11? I used passwd while elevated to root and all it changes is the password of the user I am logged in, not te root password. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taltamir
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)