Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog messages.
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat syslog messages. Post 302304389 by sysgate on Monday 6th of April 2009 09:54:36 AM
Old 04-06-2009
Looks like a warning message to me, "deleting unreferenced inode" means abnormal power cycle and then fsck at boot time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date in syslog messages

Is there a way of configuring AIX syslog messages to include the year (not just month and day) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emilia
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort syslog messages

how can i sort the syslog message, so that the lastest time stamp show first , oldest show last. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3Gmobile
1 Replies

3. Solaris

syslog messages every minute

Hi If we have for example a disk that is experiencing problems, ie read errors etc, a message will get generated via syslog every one minute....I come in the morning to hundreds upon hundreds of the same message. Is there anyway to change this to say 5 minutes or maybe 10 mins etc so that it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with separating syslog messages.

Hello Guys... I am bit new to shell scripting and was looking for help !! I have got syslog data on a linux server recording log messages from a device. I need to seperate the data from log to file so that I can push it excell and get a report from that. Log is in the format below "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_26apr
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Getting error messages in syslog in HP-UX

Hi, I'm using HP-UX 11.11 on HP9000/800 PA-RISC system.I am getting the below messages daily in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file.Can someone help me out in this regard, why I am getting this messages & how to resolve it. I am using SSH version(HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.20.004) Messages: Nov 26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is it, and if so, how is it possible to intercept system messages going to SYSLOG

HI all, I'm trying to improve my systems to detect attempts to break in to my servers. For instance, I currently use crontab checking the /var/log/messages every 1 minute, but I feel it would be more efficient to do the processing only when messages are generated. Is this possible, and if so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bennerg
4 Replies

7. Linux

Filter syslog messages.

Hello, How can we filter messages like : indrh03 sshd: Accepted publickey for score from 192.168.18.47 port 51034 ssh2 indrh03 sshd: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user score by (uid=0) indrh03 sshd: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user score such that they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
3 Replies

8. AIX

syslog messages

Hi Is there any setting in the syslog.conf that I can define a string to disable certain type of message that is generated in the message file for example I want to stop these type of messages getting generated. UnablAug 18 07:06:30 local1:warn|warning KCML: WARNING /usr/local/kcml/kcml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
3 Replies

9. AIX

Error messages in syslog

Hi, Can you please look into the below errors from syslog in AIX? And let me know is this a issue? How can I avoid these errors with out affecting my LPAR. Detail Data SYSLOG MESSAGE <27>Aug 23 08:24:28 syslog: slp: 0660-084 The SA failed to decode and compute received message:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Syslog duplicate messages

I've heard that syslog in Solaris10 doesn't repeat duplicate messages and displays "last message repeated n times." Is there a way to increase the time interval, so that more messages are recognized as duplicates? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - bring the system down SYNOPSIS
/sbin/shutdown [-akrhPHfFnc] [-t sec] time [warning message] DESCRIPTION
shutdown brings the system down in a secure way. All logged-in users are notified that the system is going down, and login(1) is blocked. It is possible to shut the system down immediately or after a specified delay. All processes are first notified that the system is going down by the signal SIGTERM. This gives programs like vi(1) the time to save the file being edited, mail and news processing programs a chance to exit cleanly, etc. shutdown does its job by signalling the init process, asking it to change the runlevel. Runlevel 0 is used to halt the system, runlevel 6 is used to reboot the system, and runlevel 1 is used to put to system into a state where administrative tasks can be performed; this is the default if neither the -h or -r flag is given to shutdown. To see which actions are taken on halt or reboot see the appropriate entries for these runlevels in the file /etc/inittab. OPTIONS
-a Use /etc/shutdown.allow. -k Don't really shutdown; only send the warning messages to everybody. -r Reboot after shutdown. -h Halt or power off after shutdown. -P Halt action is to turn off the power. -H Modifier to the -h flag. Halt action is to halt or drop into boot monitor on systems that support it. Must be used with the -h flag. -f Skip fsck on reboot. -F Force fsck on reboot. -n [DEPRECATED] Don't call init(8) to do the shutdown but do it ourself. The use of this option is discouraged, and its results are not always what you'd expect. -c Cancel a waiting shutdown. ("shutdown now" is no longer waiting.) With this option it is of course not possible to give the time argument, but you can enter explanatory message arguments on the command line that will be sent to all users. -t sec Tell init(8) to wait sec seconds between sending processes the warning and the kill signal, before changing to another runlevel. time When to shutdown. warning message Message to send to all users. The time argument can have different formats. First, it can be an absolute time in the format hh:mm, in which hh is the hour (1 or 2 dig- its) and mm is the minute of the hour (in two digits). Second, it can be in the format +m, in which m is the number of minutes to wait. The word now is an alias for +0. If shutdown is called with a delay, it will create the advisory file /etc/nologin which causes programs such as login(1) to not allow new user logins. This file is created five minutes before the shutdown sequence starts. Shutdown removes this file if it is stopped before it can signal init (i.e. it is cancelled or something goes wrong). It also removes it before calling init to change the runlevel. The -f flag means `reboot fast'. This only creates an advisory file /fastboot which can be tested by the system when it comes up again. The boot rc file can test if this file is present, and decide not to run fsck(1) since the system has been shut down in the proper way. After that, the boot process should remove /fastboot. The -F flag means `force fsck'. This only creates an advisory file /forcefsck which can be tested by the system when it comes up again. The boot rc file can test if this file is present, and decide to run fsck(1) with a special `force' flag so that even properly unmounted file systems get checked. After that, the boot process should remove /forcefsck. The -n flag causes shutdown not to call init, but to kill all running processes itself. shutdown will then turn off quota, accounting, and swapping and unmount all file systems. ACCESS CONTROL
shutdown can be called from init(8) when the magic keys CTRL-ALT-DEL are pressed, by creating an appropriate entry in /etc/inittab. This means that everyone who has physical access to the console keyboard can shut the system down. To prevent this, shutdown can check to see if an authorized user is logged in on one of the virtual consoles. If shutdown is called with the -a argument (add this to the invocation of shutdown in /etc/inittab), it checks to see if the file /etc/shutdown.allow is present. It then compares the login names in that file with the list of people that are logged in on a virtual console (from /var/run/utmp). Only if one of those authorized users or root is logged in, it will proceed. Otherwise it will write the message shutdown: no authorized users logged in to the (physical) system console. The format of /etc/shutdown.allow is one user name per line. Empty lines and comment lines (prefixed by a #) are allowed. Currently there is a limit of 32 users in this file. Note that if /etc/shutdown.allow is not present, the -a argument is ignored. HALT OR POWEROFF
The -H option just sets the init environment variable INIT_HALT to HALT, and the -P option just sets that variable to POWEROFF. The shut- down script that calls halt(8) as the last thing in the shutdown sequence should check these environment variables and call halt(8) with the right options for these options to actually have any effect. Debian 3.1 (sarge) supports this. FILES
/fastboot /etc/inittab /etc/init.d/halt /etc/init.d/reboot /etc/shutdown.allow NOTES
A lot of users forget to give the time argument and are then puzzled by the error message shutdown produces. The time argument is manda- tory; in 90 percent of all cases this argument will be the word now. Init can only capture CTRL-ALT-DEL and start shutdown in console mode. If the system is running the X window System, the X server pro- cesses all key strokes. Some X11 environments make it possible to capture CTRL-ALT-DEL, but what exactly is done with that event depends on that environment. Shutdown wasn't designed to be run setuid. /etc/shutdown.allow is not used to find out who is executing shutdown, it ONLY checks who is currently logged in on (one of the) console(s). AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
fsck(8), init(8), halt(8), poweroff(8), reboot(8) November 12, 2003 SHUTDOWN(8)