Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: maximum file & directories
Operating Systems Linux maximum file & directories Post 302304387 by sysgate on Monday 6th of April 2009 09:49:00 AM
Old 04-06-2009
The answer lies in your particular Linux setup - OS, File system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I create & Maintain directories

I need to either create or use a current directory to provide a path for a windows file, how do I do that? kimj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimjones142001
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract directories, users, groups & permissions to excel

Hi As the title descibes I wish to create an excel spreadsheet which lists all directories in full allong with the users, groups and rights. I have not used Perl scripts before so I'm a little lost on this on. Cheers (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacLon
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i collect Date & Time from Different Directories in a script

How do i collect Date & Time from Different Directories in a script The script iam using for a single directory is : ls -l | grep awk '{print $8}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the maximum value & min value

I have a file as like below, 10:20:30.45 START 10.20.30.40 10:20:31.46 HELLO 10.20.30.40 10:20:32.46 START 10.20.30.41 10:20:33.44 END 10.20.30.40 10:20:35.44 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:36.56 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:37.78 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:38.99 START 10.20.30.40... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gobinath
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & dirname:problems with white spaces in Directories

Hi all, my problem: (little extract from my bash-script) I want to move each file (.mov) from one directory (and many Subdirectories) to another directory (only one); after moving i want to create hardlinks to the old directories. Thatīs no problem, but now: source-directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tubian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sub directories containing maximum files

Hi All, I have this command coded in C Shell to get the top ten sub directories in the order of number of files they contain. find $parent_dir -type d -exec filecount {} \; | sort -nr | head -10 But it does not seem to show any output. Can someone please help me out in correcting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

10. Debian

Problem with maximum files and directories

Hi, I'm using Kali linux, I think it's a debian linux ? I'm trying to create a folder in which there'll be 256 folders, and in each of this folders there will also be 256 folders. Then in each terminate folders I want to create 4096 files. It will look like /dir/aa/aa/aaa.txt,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
3 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/bsdgames/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD