Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Do linux have a device file for ETHERNET CARD. Post 302304257 by iamjayanth on Monday 6th of April 2009 01:43:12 AM
Old 04-06-2009
Hi all,

My requirement is to read network traffic int userlevel . I am using C programming in Centos 5 with 2.6.18 kernel.

For example can i read the file contents which I copied using SCP . That I want the data part of the network traffic leaving out headers and tailors..Pludi, you said there are some higher level abstractions for easier access in some libraries... What do you mean by that..Where can I look for the same...Please help me out..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ethernet card for Solaris

Hi, How can i check the speed of the Ethernet card that my Sun server has and also how can i change it to full Duplex if it is set to half duplex? What is the file that takes care of this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

RedHat and Ethernet card no like each other

I have searched this forum for solution and have drawn a blank... so I come to you for help :) I an a Win XP user that has no problem getting on internet when I am on that OS (currently on it right now ;)). I installed red hat 9 and when I use that OS, I cannot get a connection. I ran the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ethernet card problem...

I am an extreme novice trying to learn Linux. I have redhat 9 installed in a computer I built specifically to install and learn linux. I have an asus a7v8x-x motherboard with the realtek 10/100 mbps ethernet card. I also installed a Jaht adapter jn-1110r32c ethernet card. I cannot get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Empire
2 Replies

4. AIX

Add PCI ethernet card?

Hi everyone, I recently inherited an IBM RS/6000 43P 150, and it appears that the on board ethernet is dead. Can I put in a PCI ethernet card and use that as the default ethernet connection (as opposed to the one on the motherboard)? If so, what type of card can I use and how does one configure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jwoollard
2 Replies

5. SCO

Issue with a ethernet card

Installed a replacement 3com pci card on an ibm PC 300 GL, running OpenServer 6.0 , brought up system, and recieved this message: Fsstat:/dev/boot mounted Mounted /stand filesystem System auditing is not enabled. Dlpid:Unable to open network adapter driver (/dev/mdi/r8e0) Dlpid:No such... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tazmss1
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

ethernet card

What command do I use to show mw the ethernet card, I have tried ipconfig -a (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhlopomo
1 Replies

7. AIX

Utilization of Ethernet Card

Hi, is it possible to find out network utilization of etherenet card in %? Regards, Manoj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Gigaswift ethernet card on reboot

I do have a server (SUNV240) with Solaris 9, it has a PCI gigaswift ethernet card for fiber with SC connector, everytime I reboot the server the card won't link up unless I unplug it and plug it back again, for remote operations this is a hassle since sometimes reboots are needed and this card... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xe2bss
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with my Ethernet Card

Hi Gurus of Solaris. I have a problem yesterday when I was installing solaris in a x86 equipement I attached some log that I capture when I try to resolve the problem Any guru that can help please. Any command or procedure that I can run, please advice me Regards Andres (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies
IPFW(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   IPFW(4)

NAME
ipfw -- IP packet filter and traffic accounting SYNOPSIS
To compile ipfw into the kernel, place the following option in the kernel configuration file: options IPFIREWALL Other kernel options related to ipfw which may also be useful are: options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100 To load ipfw as a module at boot time, add the following line into the loader.conf(5) file: ipfw_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ipfw system facility allows filtering, redirecting, and other operations on IP packets travelling through network interfaces. The default behavior of ipfw is to block all incoming and outgoing traffic. This behavior can be modified, to allow all traffic through the ipfw firewall by default, by enabling the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT kernel option. This option may be useful when configuring ipfw for the first time. If the default ipfw behavior is to allow everything, it is easier to cope with firewall-tuning mistakes which may acciden- tally block all traffic. To enable logging of packets passing through ipfw, enable the IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE kernel option. The IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT option will prevent syslogd(8) from flooding system logs or causing local Denial of Service. This option may be set to the number of packets which will be logged on a per-entry basis before the entry is rate-limited. Policy routing and transparent forwarding features of ipfw can be enabled by IPFIREWALL_FORWARD kernel option. The user interface for ipfw is implemented by the ipfw(8) utility, so please refer to the ipfw(8) manpage for a complete description of the ipfw capabilities and how to use it. SEE ALSO
setsockopt(2), divert(4), ip(4), ipfw(8), sysctl(8), syslogd(8), pfil(9) BSD
September 1, 2006 BSD