Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl reg exp
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl reg exp Post 302304034 by KevinADC on Saturday 4th of April 2009 01:55:04 PM
Old 04-04-2009
Well, if it works on one and not the other, it could be a version issue but I don't know for sure. The regexp is probably better written like so:

Code:
$text =~ /<TAG1>(.*?)<\/TAG1>.*?<TAG2>(.*?)<\/TAG2>.*?<TAG3>(.*?)<\/TAG4>.*?<TAG5>(.*?)<\/TAG5>/;
$tag1 = defined $1 ? $1 : 'no match found';
print "\n$tag1";

If you reall only want to capture $1 you should remove all the other parentheses from the regexp as they are aslo capturing pattern matches and storing them in memory for no reason.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using reg. exp. variable in AWK??

Any idea please: How to pass a reg. exp. variable to awk call in a shell??? Thank u #!/bin/sh reg_exp=name awk '/reg_exp/{ print; }' $1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl reg expression

I have regular expression like this ( replace + with \+) ($mod_server) = ($server =~ /\+/\\+/g); the above is failing with error . what's wrong with it . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage...sed/awk/reg-exp ..in shell scripting

in shell scripting there is extensive usage of i> regular expression ii>sed iii>awk can anyone tell me the suitable contexts ...i mean which one is suitable for what kind of operation. like the reg-exp and sed seems to be doing the same job..i.e pattern matching (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg exp question

Hi, Should be a difference between ']]*' and ']+' ? I use them in bash with sed and grep. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ynir
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg exp for sed

$ cat file.txt asd <AA>dev <LL>def <RR>sha This works for me: $ sed -r 's/^ .*<LL>def/\t<LL>my/' file.txt asd <AA>dev <LL>my <RR>sha But, this does not work for me: $ sed -r 's/^\s+<LL>def/\t<LL>my/' file.txt asd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demoprog
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl reg-exp

$var1="LEN"; $VAR2="CODLENTT"; now, var2 contains var1(LEN).How do i check this in perl.... whether one string is a part of another..? if (<logic>) { my operation; } what'd be the logic.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Need Help On REG EXP in unix

Respected All, I have a very big xml in that i want to search only below 3 lines. <target name ="UpgradePrimaryBox" depends ="configureBox1"> <echo> Finished Upgrading Primary Box </echo> </target> grep -i "<target.*UpgradePrimaryBox" this gives me the first line. then i need to match... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script reg-exp , replace , open and write

Hi All I am a new in scripting language and I would like help for you guys I would like to create a file named constant.h and search into all files *.m in specific directory for a reg-exp @"LBL_]+" exp: @"LBL_75847" , and write those matchs to constant.h if there are not written (no... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: molwiko
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg expression in perl

how to uniquely match each of the words seperated by / in perl ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
5 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedUseruContributed Perl Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture - Only use a capturing group if you plan to use the captured value. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Perl regular expressions have multiple types of grouping syntax. The basic parentheses (e.g. "m/(foo)/") captures into the magic variable $1. Non-capturing groups (e.g. "m/(?:foo)/" are useful because they have better runtime performance and do not copy strings to the magic global capture variables. It's also easier on the maintenance programmer if you consistently use capturing vs. non-capturing groups, because that programmer can tell more easily which regexps can be refactored without breaking surrounding code which may use the captured values. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. CAVEATS
"qr//" interpolation This policy can be confused by interpolation of "qr//" elements, but those are always false negatives. For example: my $foo_re = qr/(foo)/; my ($foo) = m/$foo_re (bar)/x; A human can tell that this should be a violation because there are two captures but only the first capture is used, not the second. The policy only notices that there is one capture in the regexp and remains happy. "@-", "@+", $LAST_MATCH_START and $LAST_MATCH_END This policy will only recognize capture groups referred to by these variables if the use is subscripted by a literal integer. $^N and $LAST_SUBMATCH_RESULT This policy will not recognize capture groups referred to only by these variables, because there is in general no way by static analysis to determine which capture group is referred to. For example, m/ (?: (A[[:alpha:]]+) | (Nd+) ) (?{$foo=$^N}) /smx makes use of the first capture group if it matches, or the second capture group if the first does not match but the second does. CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture(3pm)